University searching for new vice president

With the retirement of Dr. Joanne Ferriot, vice president of student affairs, the University needs someone to take over her responsibilities and duties. The process of finding someone begins with University President Dr. Donald Ayo, Dr. Thomas J. Mortillaro, dean of Arts and Sciences and chair of the Search Committee, said.

“Dr. Ayo puts together a search committee, and an advertisement is put out nationally. Anyone from anywhere may apply; it is not restricted to current Nicholls employees.

“The committee then reviews the applications to find the top people for the job. Ayo will interview the applicants the board has chosen and make his selection,” Mortillaro said.

According to the position announcement, reviewing of applications began Nov. 20 and will continue until the position has been filled. The anticipated starting date for the new person is July 1.

There are specific qualifications that need to be met by each applicant before they will be considered for the job, Mortillaro said.

Applicants must have an earned doctorate in higher education or student personnel administration or the equivalent. Applicants also should have at least 10 years of progressively-responsible experience in student affairs administration.

Applicants should also have experience in budget preparation and program development.

A record of successful experience working in a team environment with students, faculty, staff and the community is also necessary, according to the position announcement.

When applying, applicants are made aware of the responsibilities of the job through the position announcement. Some of the responsibilities, such as serving as adviser to the Student Government Association and reporting to the President of Student Affairs, are expected of the applicants.

“The committee interviews the applicants and then sends their top choices, in this case three applicants, to Ayo for reviewing.

“He has interviewed two of the three applicants already and will interview the third applicant in the near future,” Mortillaro said.

Dr. Eugene Dial, dean of student life at Nicholls, has applied for the position. Dr. Melody C. Pierce, vice chancellor for student affairs from Southern University in Louisiana, and Dr. James E. Martin, chief of the Student Affairs Office from Florida Community College in Jacksonville, Fla., also applied, he said.

“After Ayo makes his decision, he will nominate that applicant to the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System. Upon approval by the Board of Supervisors, the applicant will then have the position at Nicholls,” Mortillaro said.