Three one-act plays … funny, funnier, funniest

The Nicholls Players present a night of comedy

Forget the Super Bowl . . . this could be funnier. The Nicholls Players Second Stage production, which features three one-act comedies, opens tonight and runs through Super Bowl Sunday.

The plays, directed by three different students, have no common thread except that they are all comedies.

“The night is designed to give student directors a chance to work at their art and to practice directing,” Stanley Coleman, theatre director, said.

The student directors chose the shows they would direct and also cast all of the 18 actors in the plays.

The plays are advertised as being for mature audiences only.

“The language in one of the plays could be considered adult and there are one or two situations which could be considered adult,” Coleman said.

The three plays highlighted during the performances are “For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls” by Christopher Durang, “Passion, Poison and Petrifaction” by George Bernard Shaw and “Don’t Run Around in the Nude” by Georges Feydeau.

The performances on Jan. 25 – 27 begin at 7:30 p.m., and the Sunday matinee begins at 3 p.m.

Tickets are $8 for general admission and $4 for students.

“For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls”

This play is a parody of “The Glass Menagerie” that turns the original character, Laura, an extremely sensitive girl, into Lawrence, a hypochondriac with a collection of glass cocktail stirrers.

“The play shows how you can take one feature of a good play, and explore an eccentricity of that play and turn it into a whole new thing,” Scott Carter, English senior from LaPlace and director of the play, said.

The play light-heartedly spoofs “The Glass Menagerie” with humorous scenes like Lawrence meeting his “feminine caller” Ginny, that are designed purely to make the audience laugh.

“I think audience members will have a good time. Whether they love or hate Tennessee Williams (the author of “The Glass Menagerie”), they’ll still have a laugh,” Carter said.

“Don’t Run Around in the Nude”

The story line for this play explores social conventions and common ideas about marriage.

The main character in the play is a prominent political figure, who is married to a woman who runs around the house in inappropriate clothing.

The wife’s indecent dressing creates problems when her husband’s political friends keep visiting the house.

“The woman runs around in a see-through negligee, high heels and a hat . . . hence the name, `Don’t Run Around in the Nude,’ ” Andy Elliott, English senior from Thibodaux and director of the play, said.

The play was originally written by Georges Feydeau, considered by some to be one of the best French farce writers.

“Passion, Poison and Petrifaction”

This play, written by George Bernard Shaw, portrays murder, lust and marital infidelity in Victorian England.

Not exactly material that would typically be considered humorous, the play incorporates timing and sound effects to create humorous effects.

“Really, it plays off the twists of fate,” Eric Pellegrin, art sophomore from Schriever and director, said. “It’s really hilarious.”

“All three shows are really funny. I think students who come to see the plays will experience a great night of comedy,” he added.