SAE to host its inaugural Donut Dash philanthropy event

The Louisiana Chi chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon at Nicholls State University welcomes fitness enthusiasts and donut connoisseurs alike to their inaugural Donut Dash.
This event is a 5K race that will encompass a three-mile stretch of campus. Cost for registration is $25 and will occur on Saturday, June 8 at 8 a.m.
All proceeds will be donated to the chapter’s philanthropy, the Children’s Miracle Network. The race will have two divisions; the first is a regular 5K, and the other is for those who chose to take the challenge of eating half a dozen donuts halfway through the race.
Along with the registration fee, participants will receive a t-shirt, post-race snacks, and half a dozen donuts if they choose to adhere to the “donut” portion of the challenge.
The chapter’s philanthropy chair, Adam Doucet, has been working tirelessly with the help of his committee to ensure the event’s success.
“When I came into the position of philanthropy, we began to brainstorm for new innovative ways we could continue to donating to the community,” Doucet said. “Once we came up with the idea for Donut Dash, we were all very excited this concept. After overcoming a few obstacles early on, we were able to figure out the logistics and start promoting the race.”
The race is usurping last year’s benefit dinner that Louisiana Chi hosted, which is a change that Doucet is very excited about.
“Since we raise money for Children’s Miracle Network, we wanted to create an event that fostered a more interactive environment that families could enjoy,” Doucet said. “Donut Dash appeals to a larger demographic than our benefit dinner did last year. This new fundraiser will be enjoyable for the whole Nicholls community, which is important because philanthropy is vital to what our fraternity is built on.”
Preregistering for the race is greatly appreciated so that estimates for the necessary supplies can be made. Interested participants can sign up on Active.com, and arrive Saturday morning with no hassle of paperwork. However, accommodations on that morning will be made for those attendees who have not preregistered.
Registration forms will be located in the Nicholls State Student Life Office as well as the Thibodaux Recreation Department Center. These forms can be mailed to the corresponding address on the sheet.
One attractive component of this event is the peculiarity of its nature.  Doucet is expecting a great turnout of people to participate because aside from it being a race, he believes it is an even greater overall experience.
“I want people to come out ready to have fun in the name of charity,” Doucet said. “But adding the dynamic of eating half a dozen donuts certainly puts a different spin on things.”
Avid runner and frequent race enthusiast Cory Leonard is excited to see what kind of challenge this particular 5K presents. Leonard has competed in several races over the years, but has yet to experience the peculiarity that Donut Dash gives its partakers.
 “There are races around here that involve beer every mile or so, but this is the first I’ve heard of that involves something as crazy as stopping to cram donuts in your face, and halfway through the course no less,” Leonard said. “This one is definitely going to be…. let’s call it interesting, especially around the finish line.”
For those daring souls willing to attempt the feat of eating the allotted half-dozen donuts, Leonard believes the ordinary task will become significantly more difficult. “I would say that most people who run 5K’s are pushing themselves pretty hard,” Leonard said. “Combine that with the fact that donuts can sit heavy in your stomach and the difficulty level goes way up from there.”
Since there are two divisions to run, the more competitive runners may choose to forego the donut undertaking. However, knowing the nature of runners and how bold they can be, Leonard is sure some participants will be willing to encounter the challenge with a smile on their face and a stomach full of deep fried glazed goodness.  
“I would say that most of the serious runners that I know probably won’t choose the donut divison,” Leonard said. “These athletes usually train consistently from week to week to get faster and faster and the thought of stopping for anything during a race is a foreign concept to them. With that said, runners as a group are nuts. So who knows what will happen?”
One thing is for certain; the Donut Dash is a pioneering event for this area and its residents. The men of Sigma Alpha Epsilon hope runners arrive Saturday morning with their running shoes and an empty stomach. “Donut” miss this opportunity to help raise money for Children’s Miracle Network while exercising and replenishing those burned calories with 6 delicious donuts.
For any questions are concerns, you may contact Adam Doucet at (985) 696-0275 or [email protected].