Time To Upgrade

Crawfish Aquatics adds floating bulkhead to Ayo Pool
A crane operator and ground workers lift a movable bulkhead over the Crawfish Aquatics building and place it into J. J. Ayo Pool on June 12. This bulkhead will allow the pool to change from one 50 meter pool to two 25 meter pools to use for competitions.

Renovations to J. J. Ayo Pool continued last week when workers lifted and installed a floating, movable bulkhead to the pool by crane, which will allow the pool to change lengths depending on the types of races it will hold.
This addition will allow the pool to change from a single 50-meter pool with eight lanes to two 25-meter pools with eight lanes in each.
50-meter pools are used for Olympic and international competition while 25-meter pools are used for other levels of competition including college and high school.
“For competitions with the smaller pool, we can hold races in one and leave the other for practices and warm ups,” Crawfish Aquatics South Site Director Frank Shepard said.
Shepard went on to say that the pool was initially built to have a bulkhead, which is why it is slightly longer than 50 meters. With the new bulkhead, paid for by Crawfish Aquatics, the pool is the exact length that it should be for competition.
According to Shepard, the bulkhead, made from stainless steel and aluminum, will use an air compressor to make it float a few inches over the water and allow it to move along a track on the side of the pool. Once it is in its proper place, the air will decompress, causing the bulkhead to sink and lock in place.
“It’s really a top of the line piece of equipment,” Shepard said.
The bulkhead is the latest renovation made at Ayo pool by Crawfish Aquatics, who is expected to spend about $175,000 in tottal improvements. Since Crawfish Aquatics began leasing the pool, they have also installed new starting blocks, a new scoreboard and a heater.
The heater will allow the pool to stay open much longer throughout the year by opening sooner in the spring and closing later in the fall.
“Before, we had to just wait for the water to be heated up from the sun before we could open it,” Director of Campus Recreation Mike Matherne said. “I anticipate that date to be moved up several weeks now that we have the ability to heat it.
Although there has been no talk of Nicholls forming a collegiate swim team, Shepard believes that it is only a matter of time.
“They have this great facility now, and I can only imagine they will eventually do that,” Shepard said.
Ayo pool is available to all university students with a valid Colonel Card, and Matherne said that the idea of intramural competition is very possible, hinting at events such as a miniature triathlon.
“I can tell you it would have taken years and years and years for the university to be able to afford those improvements, which Crawfish Aquatics has made in a very short order,” Matherne said.
Crawfish Aquatics South offers opportunities for swimmers ages five and up.  The programs range from year-round team programs, adult programs from ages 19 and up, lessons and high school leagues. The website, crawfishaquaticssouth.com, offers information on uniform costs, coaching information, meet information and any other important information for current and potential swimmers.