Microsoft and Sony reveal newest video game consoles

The “console war” is in full swing once again after Sony and Microsoft revealed their next-generation video game consoles at the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Las Angeles last week.
Sony’s PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One are without a doubt the most advanced gaming consoles to date. Both systems bring forth new technology and improvements that will change gaming as we know it forever, but which console is better to spend your hard-earned money on? The battle is certainly heating up, so here are a few different angles to look at each console to help you decide which one (if not both) will sit in your living room.

Console-Exclusive Launch Games

If you are planning to buy your system at launch, you will have more than just a handful of console-exclusive games to take home with you.
Microsoft announced at E3 that the Xbox One’s first-day lineup will include Ryse:  Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3, Kinect Sport Rivals and Forza 5. Sony, on the other hand, confirmed Killzone:  Shadow Fall, Knack and Driveclub.
While this is a very short list for the time being, we are still months away from launch day, and you can bet that there will be even more games to choose from by then. It’s also important to note that the games listed above are only the ones that are exclusive to one console. There are still many other third-party games that will hit shelves such as Call of Duty:  Ghosts, Watch Dogs, Assassin’s Creed IV and Dark Souls 2.
Xbox – 1 PS4 – 0

Online Subscriptions

One of the biggest perks of having a PlayStation 3 was its free online service, the PlayStation Network. PlayStation players could play online without paying a cent, unlike Xbox Live users who had to pay a monthly subscription. These days are over, however, because PlayStation 4 users will be required to use PlayStation Plus, a paid subscription service, in order to play online. With it, however, comes a lot of new perks that should not count it out right away.
PlayStation Plus will cost players five dollars a month to play online, but it will also give users one new, free game per month. Xbox Live’s Gold membership offers the same perk, but it costs $15 per month, and the free games offered are usually several years old.
The days of free online play are over, no matter which system you choose, but Sony’s PlayStation Plus offers more perks for a smaller price.
Xbox – 1 PS4 – 1

Sharing Media and Social Networking

Gameplay video sharing has become ridiculously popular over the past year thanks to devices like capture cards, which record your games while you play them. YouTube is full of video gamers’ channels covering everything from tutorials to comedy sketches made in game. Rather than having to buy a separate piece of hardware to record your games, however, both the Xbox One and PS4 will have built-in recording devices.
Microsoft has not spent that much time talking about media sharing on the Xbox One, but the system will have an in-game DVR that will allow you to record all of your gameplay.
Sharing media was one of Sony’s key points in the PS4’s reveal. They added a button to the controller that’s dedicated to sharing media both with friends playing on other PlayStations or instantly posting a video to Facebook. Sony also has a partnership with Ustream, which will allow players to live stream their games over the Internet.
Another big feature of the PS4 that went nearly unrecognized at E3 is the idea of social gaming. Imagine you are playing a game and you cannot get past a certain level or gain a certain achievement. A friend with a PS4 can actually watch you play through their TV and coach you through it, or even take full control of your console and beat the level for you, even if they are in a different state.
While there is still a lot to learn about the Xbox One’s social features, it is safe to say that Sony’s will be much more convenient, even for the casual gamer.
Xbox – 1 PS4 – 2

The Controllers

A gamer is nothing without his or her controller. It is the connection from human to machine, and its design should not be taken lightly. While both consoles’ controllers are relatively similar to the past generation, there are a few changes that should be noted.
The Xbox One’s gamepad is very similar to the Xbox 360’s, which is without a doubt one of the best controllers of all time. The only change made to the new one is in the directional pad, which was the 360 controller’s only flaw. Microsoft is also making a huge push for its Kinect system, which uses a camera to track your movement, making your body the controller.
The PS4 controller is a variant of its usual DualShock design, but it definitely got a makeover for the next generation. Along with the added sharing button mentioned above, the DualShock 4 controller will have a front touch pad as well as a colored LED display on the back. I have always been a big fan of Sony’s DualShock design with my only withdraw being a slight lack of grip to hold on to. The DualShock 4 has slightly longer and rounder sides that should correct the problem.
While both controller designs have proven to do well in the past, the PS4’s DualShock 4 gets the edge for its new features.
Xbox – 1 PS4 – 3

Used Game Support

Buying and selling used games has become a part of a gamer’s lifestyle, and for anyone who has been following the development of next-gen consoles, you have probably heard this phrase a million times by now:  “Xbox One will not support used games.”
While this phrase is not entirely true, Xbox users will have more difficulties in trading used games than their PS4 counterparts, who can buy, sell and trade game disks as they please.
Here’s a scenario to help explain Xbox One’s used game policy. The first time you insert a game disk into your system, the entire game will download onto your system’s hard drive. This will allow you to play that game without the disk. If you were to let a friend borrow that game, however, once they put that disk in their system, all of your data for that game on your system will erase, and the game will register as a new game on your friend’s system. On top of this, some developers may charge a fee for trading games.
Microsoft took this stance on games to help battle piracy, which is easier than ever nowadays. They have taken a lot of heat for this policy, and long-time Xbox users have committed to the PS4 because of it.
On the other side, Sony stated firmly at E3 that the PS4 would not adopt these rules. In fact, Sony released a rather comical video last week. The video titled, “Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video” simply shows a person handing a game disk to a friend.
Xbox – 1 PS4 – 4

Offline Gaming

At E3, Microsoft explained that the Xbox One needs to connect online once every 24 hours in order to play both single and multiplayer games. This means that if you do not have an Internet connection wherever you try to play your Xbox One, it will be about as useful as that VCR sitting in your attic. The PS4 on the other hand, will not require an online check-in, and can play anywhere with or without Internet.
Along with its new used game policy, Xbox One’s required Internet connection is one of its biggest criticisms. To make matters worse, when asked about gamers who do not have Internet connections in a recent interview, Microsoft’s Don Mattrick said, “Fortunately we have a product for people who aren’t able to get some form of connectivity. It’s called Xbox 360.” Ouch.
Xbox One – 1 PS4 – 5

Price

Both Sony and Microsoft revealed price tags for the new consoles at E3, with Sony receiving cheers from the crowd for offering the PlayStation 4 for $100 less than Xbox One.
Not counting games, extra controllers or other peripherals, the PlayStation 4 will cost $399, and the Xbox one will be $499.
Based on all of the criticisms shot at Xbox One’s new features and policies, PlayStation 4 seems like it will be the better deal with a smaller price tag and less restrictions on gamers.
Final Score:  Xbox One – 1 PS4 – 6
So there you have it. While the Xbox One has a slight edge over the PlayStation 4 in terms of exclusive launch titles, the latter outshines the former in nearly every other field.  While both consoles have their obvious pros and cons, it is hard not to recognize that the PS4 is just one step ahead.
Both consoles are set for release before the end of 2013, and while there will be plenty of debating over the next six months over which one is better, one thing is certain. The new generation of gaming is coming, and it will only get better from here.