Gee enjoys students, job, University

Spotlight

As a distinguished professor of education, Dr. Jerry Gee has the opportunity to enjoy his interests in music and teaching. He teaches an introductory course to elementary and secondary education as well as a class in music for the elementary classroom. He also teaches a graduate class in educational administration and supervision. “I grew up on the Mississippi coast, and was surrounded by music. I was always interested in a variety of music. I enjoy jazz, classical, and country,” Gee said.

Gee, 65, received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in music education at the University of Southern Mississippi in 1958 and Mississippi State University in 1965, respectively. In 1977 he earned his doctorate in educational administration and supervision from Louisiana State University. He was the director of the Nicholls State Band from 1966 to 1974.

Although much of his career has involved music, Gee now finds that the most gratifying aspect of his job is the effect that he has on his students’ lives.

“Working with the students is the most satisfying part of the job. I see many of the students become graduates who go on to become very successful,” he commented.

Gee has received numerous awards throughout his distinguished career. Although he is appreciative of all of them, he is particularly proud of the Apple awards given by the Division of Student Affairs from 1992 through 2000.

“I enjoyed receiving these awards the most because they were given directly by the students,” Gee pointed out.

Having academic responsibilities throughout the year, Gee says that he has little time for extra activities or hobbies. When he does find the time, however, Gee enjoys working in his yard, having barbecues with his family and traveling with his wife. His lifelong interest in music is reflected in his recreational activities as well.

“I enjoy live music. Sometimes I’ll go see a symphony or a country music band at a club,” Gee commented.

Gee’s wife, Mary Janis, is a retired piano teacher. They have four children. His oldest, Jerry, is a neurologist who graduated from Tulane. The second oldest, Michael, also graduated from Tulane and works as a Lawyer in Thibodaux. His third son, Michael, is an oncologist who is a graduate from Harvard and attended Oxford as well. His daughter and youngest child, Andrea is a nurse who attended Tulane and now works in Singapore.

Gee holds Nicholls State University and its faculty in high regard.

“Nicholls is a University of excellence. It has an outstanding administration, faculty and students,” he said

Gee points out that one of the strong points of Nicholls is that the faculty are committed to their positions in the University.

“Many of the same faculty and administration have worked together here for a long time,” Gee said.