Students do not agree that homosexuals should have the same rights to adopt children as heterosexuals

Two speakers, one topic, a heated debate and a room full of students and faculty. This can only mean one thing, a speech forum. Tuesday night in the Student Union Ball room, the topic of addressed was whether or not homosexuals should have the same rights to adopt children as do heterosexuals.

In a heated discussion, views were thrown back and forth in retaliation to what was being said.

Tiffany Theriot, freshman from Shriever, gave the argument for the pro side of the topic which focused on three main points.

“First of all we have an extremely large number of foster children that need to be adopted.

“Then we have the statement, that I do not agree with, is whether we should deprive a child of either a mother or a father.

“Thirdly, we have many myths about homosexuals,” Theriot said.

Theriot focused on the fact that there are many foster children that need families.

“There are nearly 100,000 children that need to be adopted today, she said.

“These children live in institutions, orphanages and on the street. They go to bed at night with no one to tuck them in, and without someone saying I love you,” Theriot said.

Theriot pointed out that no matter the circumstances, homosexuals will have children whether society wants them to or not.

“They will find surrogate mothers, they will have artificial insemination, and many homosexuals have children from previous relationships.” she said.

“A person’s sexual preference should not matter if that person truly loves the child in question,” Theriot said.

Theriot then addressed the fact that there are many myths about homosexuals.

“One concern is that a child will grow up to be gay because he is raised by a homosexual family,” she said.

Theriot argued that this is not necessarily the case.

In conclusion, Theriot spoke of her own experiences.

“I know how hard it is for these children that have grown up in foster homes and group homes.

“I grew up many years without a mother or father. I know that if they would have denied me a family strictly because they were homosexual, I would have been deeply hurt,” she said.

In opposition, Hollie Garrison, freshman from Thibodaux, spoke on the con side of the topic.

“It may surprise you that I have nothing against homosexuals, in fact some of my friends and family members are gay.

“I believe that they have given me a clear insight into what their lifestyle really is,” she said.

Homosexuals do not fit the role of a parent, therefore they should not be allowed to adopt children, she said.

“Being raised by a homosexual couple can have effects on the child’s sexuality, and can also have serious adverse social effects on a child,” Garrison said.

Garrison went on to define that a parent is a provider, guardian, and that they provide a child with basic needs.

“Homosexuals are able to fulfill these roles, but parents teach by doing,” she said.

Children are influenced by their parents, and their environment which includes their parents friends, Garrison argued.

“A child growing up in a homosexual family will not only be surrounded by their gay parents, but by other members of the gay community,” she said.

Children in this situation may grow up to believe that a homosexual lifestyle is the only way the world works, and that this is how life is, Garrison said.

“This is not physically natural, and is not what a child should be taught as normal,” she said.

Research shows that children brought up in homosexual homes had signs of social isolation and were often criticized, Garrison said.

“Not every child will be subject to this, but there are more serious effects,” she said.

Children may suffer when developing their own sexuality, she said.

“How will a child come to learn what a healthy sexual relationship is if he does not have an example to follow.

“I do not believe that homosexuality is wrong, but I do believe that it is the wrong situation in which to raise a child,” Garrison said.

After both speakers had finished their arguments, it was the audience’s turn to state their views.

Speaking on the pro side, Ben Nutter, freshman from Houma said, “Sex is learned everywhere. You don’t choose who you are going to have sex with or your sexuality from the influences of locker room talks, magazines or friends. Your sexuality comes from within.”

“Rules and regulations are set by God, and bringing a child into a homosexual home is not a good choice,” Lisa Cheramie, freshman from Lockport, said.

When all views were presented, the final speeches, given by members of the audience, were presented.

Dr. Michelle Caruso, director of counseling in studnet services, restated views of the pro side, and Timothy Kay, engineering junior from Houma, restated the views of the con side.

After votes were tallied, the con side prevailed with a count of 116 to 93.