SGA red letter campaign begins later this semester

The Student Government Association will be holding a letter writing campaign, first discussed last semester, in early February to protest proposed University budget cuts.The Jindal Administration announced in early January that budget cuts to Louisiana colleges will probably be much less than first anticipated. Institutions statewide have been preparing for a cut as severe as 32 percent but the administration said cuts could be less than 10 percent.

With this change, SGA president Brittany Taraba said the campaign had to be revamped.

Once final dates for the campaign are set, SGA will set up tables around campus to provide students with letter forms and envelopes, Taraba said. Once all letters are collected, SGA members will deliver them to Baton Rouge.

“We want the representatives to see students actually deliver the letters, so it packs more of a punch,” Taraba said.

The student organization called Stand Up! also has sample letters that people can download from their Web site, www.standup4la.org, and send to state representatives. At one of the Stand Up! meetings, advisor Becky LeBlanc offered to proofread letters.

Before November’s election, Stand Up! urged people to write letters and vote.

“It’s not the time to start acting tomorrow, tomorrow is already here,” Amy Mahler, Stand Up! president, said.

Despite Jindal’s reassurance of smaller budget cuts, Mahler believes that writing letters is still important.

“Students need to understand the budget cut fight isn’t over. Just because we didn’t get a huge cut this year doesn’t mean we won’t next semester. We are fighting for the future of Nicholls’ tomorrow,” Mahler said.

Mahler also believes that students, faculty and staff should not be quiet.

“Saying something means a lot more than saying nothing at all.