Student e-mail account transition to take place Feb.

Hannah Songe, freshman from Houma, checks Blackboard on Nov. 15 in the student union.
Photo by: Jessie Bethancourt

The switch from Groupwise WebAccess to Gmail has been postponed until Feb. 12. Tom Bonvillain, director of academic computing, said the University currently pays to license the Groupwise system. With the budget cuts, the University thought it would make sense to switch to a free service.

After the switch, students with e-mail usernames in the old format (SmitJ123) will be assigned new usernames (JSmith123). The username will consist of the first letter of the student’s first name, his or her full last name and an assigned number. Students will be able to locate their new username by logging into Banner Self Service and looking in the top right hand corner. Passwords will be the students’ Banner password.

With the switch, students will also have access to Google Apps in which they can collaborate with peers on things such as papers and projects. Documents can be shared and edited and calendars and contact systems can be set up for personal or group viewing. Programs such as Word and Excel can be shared, but the system has its own set of programs as well.

Gmail accounts will be able to be kept even after a student has graduated. Students will roll over into the alumni section and retain only the email portion of the system.

“It will give the University a way of keeping up with you after you move on from Nicholls,” Bonvillain said.