Ceremony celebrates newly renovated cafeteria

Over 100 people attended the opening and dedication of the newly renovated Vernon F. Galliano Cafeteria Aug. 16.
The cafeteria name derives from Vernon F. Galliano, the University’s second president from 1963-1983. During his presidency he created a plan laying out the appearance of the campus in the future.
Galliano called it his “decade ahead” plan. Galliano’s son Tim, said in his remembrances remarks at the ceremonies, “We hope that his legacy at Nicholls is not as a brick and mortar president, but that he is remembered as being about people – the students and faculty.”
University President Stephen Hulbert spoke about the on-going campus projects, as well as Galliano’s influence on Nicholls. “A true university president leaves the university better off than when he arrived. Dr. Galliano gave us the means to be successful. I consider Dr. Galliano to be a steward of higher education,” Hulbert said.
According to “Nicholls State University: The Elkins-Galliano Years 1948-1983,” Alfred Delahaye, professor emeritus of mass communication, the cafeteria was built under Galliano’s presidency. It was then call Acadia Hall, but after Galliano’s death the hall was named in his honor.
Members of Galliano’s family, wife Josephine, and sons Joe Vernon Jr., Jonathon, Greg and Tim along with Hulbert and Michael Davis, assistant vice president of administration unveiled a portrait of the late president that will hang in the building.
Father Joey Pilola of St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church led the invocation and benediction. Kim Bellamy sang “America the Beautiful” and the Alma Mater. Others in attendance were faculty, staff, students and members of the Nicholls Facilities Corporation.
A free lunch was served in the cafeteria to all who attended the event.

The family of Vernon F. Galliano unveiled his portrait Aug. 16 during the cafeteria dedication in front of Vernon F. Galliano Cafeteria. (Ashley Falterman)