Land agreement reached, timeline undecided

A timetable has not been set for the construction of the recreation center since the state reached an agreement in July with Acadia Agricultural Holdings LLC for the University to acquire about 77 acres of land east of Bowie Road. Before the University can break ground, several steps must occur, Michael Davis, assistant vice president for administration, said. These steps include finishing the design, updating the building codes, determining the probable cost and gaining approval for the business plan, the design and the sale of bonds.

“Some people think within weeks we’re going to be breaking ground, but that’s not going to take place,” Davis said. “If things went extremely well, we might be able to break ground by summer [2008].”

Although Gossen-Holloway and Associates of Thibodaux had completed the interior design of the recreation center more than two years ago, the foundation design for the center had been put on hold because a soil sample could not be obtained since the location of the recreation center was not certain. Davis said he contacted one of the architects and asked him to re-assemble the team of architects, structural engineers and mechanical engineers who will complete the design. He said he has not received a timetable from the architectural firm.

“The architects, structural engineers and mechanical engineers are all working on other projects. They’re not just sitting around waiting,” Davis said. “It’s a question of when they are going to be available to sit back down on the project.”

Davis said the University is estimating how long it will take for the designs to be finished and for the business plan, the design and the sale of bonds to receive approval.

“Everybody is going to be working as fast as they can,” Davis said. “I understand that students are going to be impatient because they’ve been paying for so long. But these projects take time.”

The recreation center fee has generated about $4.7 million, Davis said. Based on the probable cost, which will be determined after the design is complete, and the funds available, Davis said the University could possibly add another basketball court or a swimming pool to the recreation center. But because building costs have increased since Hurricane Katrina, it would be difficult to make those additions, Davis said.

“It’s really early in the game,” Davis said. “If there’s funds available, we want to add a little more to the building. If not, I don’t think there’s going to be a problem building what we designed originally.