Follow the rules: wisdom to surviving parking on campus

My first year of college, I had no problems with parking. I commuted to school, like the majority of Nicholls students do, which allowed me to park just about anywhere. Of course the faculty spots were out of the question, but other than that, things were gravy. If I needed to move my car during the day for my convenience, it could happen. If it was raining, I could park close to my classroom and make it inside without getting soaked. I’m the type of person who follows the rules. [Shocking, I know.] I’ve never been pulled over for speeding or grounded for sneaking out of the house. I guess you could say I’m just inherently obedient. [Thanks to my Catholic upbringing, no doubt.]

For my second year of college, I moved on campus. And that’s when Parking Services began making a profit off me. During the first semester of my second year at Nicholls, I owed the University almost $300 in parking fines. [My heart still aches a little when I think about it.] I guess technically I was breaking the rules, but I wasn’t doing so with a rebellious attitude. Here’s how it happened.

As a resident of La Maison du Bayou, I was only permitted to park at my apartment. If being a student had been my only involvement at Nicholls, this wouldn’t have been a problem. I love being able to walk to class from where I live. [Especially when I would wake up fifteen minutes before class.] But since I was the editor of the paper that semester, things became a little more complicated.

It was raining the first time I received a parking ticket. While trying to shield myself from the torrential downpour and make it to an interview on time, I mistakenly parked in a commuter student parking spot.

Seeing a parking ticket taped to your driver’s side window is the most infuriating feeling in the world. It was only $20, but it felt like $100.

One thing a person takes into consideration upon joining the Nicholls Worth staff is that he or she may not go to sleep on Tuesday nights. That brings me to my second parking violation.

After a long night/early morning of writing and editing stories, photos and opinion pieces, I left the Nicholls Worth to go home to my apartment. Since I was returning at such a late hour, all of the parking spots near my apartment were taken.

I guess a mixture of sleep deprivation and aggravation influenced me to park in the only available spot near my apartment – a handicapped spot. I would have never parked in a handicapped spot under normal circumstances, but it was well after midnight and I knew I would be leaving my apartment before 7 a.m. to return to the paper.

I slept a little bit later than I wanted to, but I still was able to walk out my door before 8 a.m. As I groggily walked towards my gray Toyota Matrix, I noticed it right away – a bright white parking ticket.

“Noooo,” I thought, because I knew the price before I checked the ticket. One of my friends had recently received a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot, even though it was late at night. I should have learned from his mistake, but I didn’t. The price: $250.

Don’t ever park in a handicapped spot. Even if it’s just for five minutes, because you can be ticketed 24 hours a day.

There is an appeal process for parking tickets, but chances are it won’t turn out in your favor. I wrote a lengthy explanation about how I had been sleep deprived and how there were no available parking spots within a reasonable distance from my apartment, considering how late it was. It was denied.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you do unfortunately receive a parking ticket, pay it before the deadline. If you miss it, you’ll have to pay double the amount.

As the weeks went by and I got yet another ticket, [this time for parking behind the Union at 3:30 p.m., when only five other people were on campus] I grew to despise the ticket givers. I knew that they were just doing their job and that they did not personally have it out for me, but it sure felt like they did. When I would see them on campus, I would subconsciously give them evil stares.

I also became envious of those who were friends with ticket givers, because I figured they either never got tickets or if they did, they could get them fixed easily.

I’m happy to say that I haven’t received any more tickets. After receiving $290 in parking fines, I hope I can graduate without getting any more. But even if I do, I won’t stress about it. When put in perspective, there are more important things to worry about than parking tickets.

I still have an initial dislike for ticket givers, but I’ve become less hostile towards them. And ticket givers, it’s really nothing personal.

If you want to leave Nicholls ticket-free, remember the rules. Stick to your assigned zones. If you don’t have a parking decal, put on your tennis shoes and park on Bowie Road. Don’t take any chances, because the day you do will be the day you get a ticket. It’s better to get extra exercise than to have to pay a ticket.

And above all, make friends with the ticket givers.