Owl City Review

With the technological advancements over the last few years and increased “user-friendliness” of music production tools, the quality and popularity of electronic music has skyrocketed. The electronic genre is a great representation of how modern the world has become. Almost anyone who can get their hands on production software can make their own song, but it takes a crazy amount of skill to become one of the greats.By now, I’m sure everyone and their mother has heard the catchy tune called “Fireflies.” Adam Young, the man behind the keys of the band Owl City, has become a pioneer of this reborn genre. What started out as a guy writing music in his parents’ basement has turned into sold-out concerts, two music videos, a movie soundtrack and a platinum-selling album.

While almost everyone you talk to will say they love the song “Fireflies,” only a few will say that they have heard another song made by Young.

Young’s first full-length album, called “Maybe I’m Dreaming,” was released in 2008 after his first EP, “Of June,” which was released in 2007. “Maybe I’m Dreaming” was recorded and released by Young out of his parents’ basement.

The first noteworthy song on the album is called “Rainbow Veins”-a catchy combination of acoustic guitar and keyboard riffs. The most recognizable part of Owl City, however, is Young’s voice. While very simple, Young’s quiet, almost whispering voice is difficult to forget.

The next track is called “Super Honeymoon” and is one of my favorites on the record. A catchy, upbeat keyboard tune starts the song that I guarantee will be in your head all day.

“The Saltwater Room” is the next song and is one of Owl City’s first written songs. It is mostly acoustic guitar with a bit of synth and the amazing voice of Breanne Düren, who is featured in quite a bit of Owl City’s music.

Düren tours with Young to help out with the crazy amount of keyboard operation during live shows and to lend her voice. This is my favorite Owl City song, and even if you don’t want any of the other songs, you should seriously try this one out.

The other noteworthy songs on “Maybe I’m Dreaming” are called “Early Birdie,” “Air Traffic,” “The Technicolor Phase,” “Sky Diver,” “Dear Vienna” and “I’ll Meet You There.” I won’t go into detail, but if you have ever played WaveRace64 on the Nintendo64, you will be consumed with nostalgia.

The most recent full-length album is “Ocean Eyes.” This is Young’s first album released after he signed on to Republic Records, the same label as Jack Johnson, Colbie Caillet and Jay Sean. This is my favorite album because it really shows how Young’s skill has increased since signing to the label.

“The Bird And The Worm” is one of my favorite songs on this album because it combines acoustic guitar with happy sounding keyboard parts.

The next song is called “Cave In,” and I believe it is one of the most unique songs by Owl City. Young’s skills with a synthesizer really stand out in this one.

One of my favorite things about Owl City is how clever the music and lyrics are. Young loves to use puns in his lyrics, and his way with words really stands out in the song “Dental Care,” which is literally about having nice teeth. The message of the song is to smile instead of fight. The first line in the chorus says, “I’ve been to the dentist a thousand times, so I know the drill.” Another line says, “Golf and alcohol don’t mix, and that’s why I don’t drink and drive.” I’ll give you a few seconds to let that sink in.

If I described every song in this album, we would be here all day, and to be honest, every one of the songs on “Ocean Eyes” is worth owning. If you refuse to get every album by Owl City, at least check out “Ocean Eyes.” I promise you will not be disappointed.

Aside from the full-lengths and EPs, Owl City has released several singles as well. The first single is called “Strawberry Avalanche,” a very mellowed out song compared to what we are used to hearing from this artist.

The last two singles are special, one of which is very rare. Both songs were written during the Christmas season. “The Christmas Song” was written in 2008, but was never intentionally released. The song first reached public ears when a YouTube user leaked the song in a video. Shortly after, Owl City added the song to the band’s MySpace page for a few weeks. Once the song was taken off of MySpace, a lot of people forgot about it since it never reached the iTunes Store.

The second Christmas single came out last month and is called “Peppermint Winter.” This is another mellow song from Young that has clever puns in the lyrics.

Adam Young is an amazing musician, and I believe a lot of people don’t give him the credit he deserves. With every new release, Owl City shows why it deserves the recognition of music listeners everywhere. Check out Owl City on MySpace and iTunes, and look out for new releases and upcoming tours!