Students wear pajama pants to campus

According to the Associated Press, “Pajama Day” was once a novelty at school-the chance to be silly and wear attire usually reserved for the privacy of the home. These days, many young people are wearing pajamas in public, anytime and just about anywhere.Public pajama-wearing grew out of college students’ long-standing habit of rolling out of bed and into class. Now pajamas are a fashion statement with such retailers as Old Navy, Target and J.C. Penney offering myriad styles for adults, teens and preteens.

Ashley Lejune, freshman from Cut Off, chooses clothes in which she feels comfortable to wear to class. She said that she wears clothes that allow her to relax.

Lejune doesn’t always wear pajamas. She will occasionally ditch the pajamas for something dressy-casual. “I get in a mood to dress up; it’s not very often but I just get in that certain mood I guess,” Lejune said.

Lejune said that a lot of the people she knows wear pajamas to class.

“I’d have to say my favorite pajamas to wear would be my ‘Bad Girl’ pajama pants and a white muscle shirt. That’s what I usually wear,” Lejune says.

The trend is not popular with everyone. According to the Associated Press, school officials from Houston County, Ga., to Katy, Texas, to Southfield, Mich., to Bakersfield, Calif., have banned pajama wearing at school.

“People who wear tacky pajamas to a class are just looking for attention,” Ashley Silverii, freshman from Thibodaux, said. “They know people are going to look at them.”

“It isn’t a matter of being too casual,” Olga Shmuklyer, a 28-year-old New Yorker who readily acknowledges to being a member of the “flip-flop” generation said according to Associated Press. She simply thinks pajamas aren’t flattering for anyone.