Employment Exploration

Search for jobs becomes more difficult, experts say

Despite projected job losses, Kristie Tauzin, director of career services, said that the demand for jobs is still present, but graduating students may have to put forth an extra effort toward finding a job.”I think that students need to be as on-the-ball looking for a job as they ever have been,” Tauzin said. “At this point, (December) graduates need to be looking for a job now.”

According to the estimates from the Congressional Budget Office on newsday.com, the nation could lose as many as 400,000 jobs by the end of this year because of Hurricane Katrina.

“The jobless rate has risen,” Tauzin said. “We have to realize that. A starting salary might not be as high as it was before, but (employers) still need people to do the job. I don’t think that the job opportunities are closing in any type of way.”

Valerie Campbell, executive director of The Work Connection, Inc., said that there is a great demand for those who are unemployed because there are many employers seeking out people to work for them.

“I do believe that the demand is there, in spite of what has happened,” Campbell said. “(The hurricane) opened up a lot of opportunities for people.”

Students have to keep in mind that people who were displaced are also seeking employment in this area, according to Tauzin and Campbell. It may take extra effort to obtain a job now due to the influx of people in this area and decrease in jobs available, Tauzin said.

“With all the displaced individuals that meet the qualifications, employers are picking up people,” Campbell said. “They are looking for the more experienced person or someone who is more qualified for the job.”

Tauzin said, “I don’t think that people need to use that as a crutch. The hurricane should not deter anyone from going out there and seeking the job that they want. Students still need to get out there and look for jobs.”

Nick Landry, culinary arts senior from Abbeville, is graduating in December, and he said that he is not worried about finding a job because there are a few places out state where he may work.

“I’ve had a few job offers here and there, so I’m not really worried,” Landry said. “The hurricane hasn’t affected (my job opportunities) because most of the places (I want to work) are out of state. I plan on moving away.”

Career Day is Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., and students, especially those who are graduating this year, are encouraged to attend. Students should take rsums along with them and be prepared to ask the employers questions. Fewer than 50 companies will be there to speak with all students, but specifically to seniors, for the purpose of hiring them, Tauzin said.

“Students are advised to come to career day every year and meet the people they want to work for again and again so that when they are graduating, that interviewer out there is going to remember them,” Tauzin said.

Seniors can register with career services to lessen the burden of finding a job after graduation. Students should have their rsums prepared, meet as many employers as possible, post rsums on as many employment Web sites as possible and attend career day, Tauzin said.

“(Seniors), get your rsums ready, get out there and meet people; talk to people in the business that you want to be in, and find out how they got started,” Tauzin said. “Let people know that you are in the market for finding a job because people need to know that you’re graduating and you need a job.”

Tauzin said that many times students believe that upon graduation they will receive their “dream job” right away.

“That’s not always how it happens,” Tauzin said. “It might be a little more rough to get jobs, but that’s okay.