Webmaster of “the vomit” explains main issue, concerns

One man armed with some proven facts and his opinion has taken a place on the World Wide Web with a site dedicated “to the improvement of Nicholls.”
John Smith, or Urza, the name he uses on his website, is determined that by the spring of 2004 students may not graduate because they will no longer be able to afford to attend Nicholls. However, this is not his main issue.
“My main issue is whether or whether not existing underclassmen and incoming underclassmen, those falling under the guidelines of the 90 hours or less rule, will be able to afford to attend Nicholls once the main boys dormitory closes (Long Hall),” Smith said. This 90 hours rule states that those underclassmen with 90 hours or less are required to live in the residence halls unless they are close enough to commute to school, in which case they have to provide verification to Nicholls.
While Smith himself is a senior and will not benefit from his fight one way or another, he said he is doing this for his friends who are here already and those who are planning on attending.
The site was not a spur of the moment thing, and Smith is not working alone. He said he has some friends in the College of Education, who wish to remain anonymous, supporting him. Originally, Smith had intended on remaining anonymous as well because he thought his views would have more weight if he remained unknown.
On his homepage, http://cyberhattrick.tripod.com/nsuvomit, Smith points out eight facts about the University. While he does admit a lot of this is his opinion, initial information was provided to Smith from a campus counselor, a member of the Student Government Association and other students three weeks before the start of the fall semester. After finding that some of his information was false, updates have been made to the site to make it more factual.
Smith points out that admission standards will be raised in 2005, the recreation center is in its planning stages, a no parking rule for the side streets was put into effect, the university began enforcing the 90 hours or less rule, privatized housing complexes are being built, parking zones are put into effect without student input, residence halls are rundown and fast food restaurants are being added to the Student Union. On his site he says this “means Nicholls is attempting to attract students from a higher income bracket. In short, Nicholls is trying to turn Harvard on the Bayou into Harvard on the Bayou.”
The website is not the first time that Smith has tried to get his voice heard, but the main issue remains the same, that the 90 hours rule should be repealed.
“I spoke with the president first concerning the items. While he is a new president, he is not privy, yet, to every issue facing Nicholls campus, so he was not able to offer knowledgeable insight, but he did try,” Smith said.
Although Smith has gone to the president of the University, he is still wary of going to the SGA student senate, despite many invitations by SGA Vice President Jana Stewart; however, he is still considering it.
“I was considering an online petition following the same guidelines as Nicholls uses for their online poll,” Smith said. This system would be similar to the system already in place for homecoming voting where a student is only allowed to vote once. Smith thinks this method would be beneficial to students because the University would not know who voted or put their opinions towards the petition, perhaps enticing some students who would normally remain quiet about issues to use their voices.
According to Stewart, the SGA student senate is willing to work with Smith to get something done about his concerns and issues.
“We have encouraged him to come to our meetings,” Stewart said. “We have encouraged him to speak with the Director of Rights of Grievances. Several times I have invited him to my office to help him start a petition to appeal the 90 hours rule for residential services.”
Stewart said his thoughts on the 90 hours rule is the one concrete thing he could change if he really wanted to do.
“There are avenues that he has to take and an Internet opinion poll will not change it,” she said. Smith, however, could see or institute a change if he were to follow the procedures of the SGA and start a true petition.
Stewart does agree with Smith on the issue of the new privatized housing complex, stating that he does have a valid point thinking the complex was built to hold the upperclassmen and the dormitories would then be able to hold the influx of incoming freshman who fall under the 90 hours rule.
“The University, however, is not forcing anyone to live in the new private housing; it is a choice,” she said. “No one is making anyone live in the privatized housing.”
Stewart thinks it is the duty of the SGA to inform and represent students about the ongoing affairs of the University, and she extends her same invitation to Smith to talk to her and try to get things done.
Smith said he would not stop until the petition goes through to the “Supreme Court of Nicholls,” but after that, pursuing the issues would become pointless.
“After this issue is addressed, there is more to bring up,” Smith said. “There are other issues that I have yet to gather information on, but that will be my next crusade.”