Creatine:to use or not to use, that is the question

In today’s world of sports training and enhancement, there are many over the counter drugs that help shape athletes into bigger, stronger athletes. But of this group, creatine is widely considered one of the most popular.
According to the Mayo Clinic website at www.mayoclinic.com, creatine monohydrate is a compound produced by the body that helps release energy in muscles. Creatine is the most studied of all the nutritional supplements, and scientific research indicates that creatine can boost power on a short-term basis.
Creatine helps muscles make and circulate more adenosine triphosphate, which is commonly known as ATP. This helps the body do more of quick, explosive activities like weightlifting or sprinting easier.
Creatine also reduces energy waste products, which as a result enhances performance and decreases fatigue.
Since a human liver makes about 2 grams of creatine each day, everyone has it in their system naturally, and it is necessary for survival. Creatine can also be found in foods like meat and fish products.
Although the long-term effects of creatine are unknown, there are many side effects creatine can cause. The most common side effects of creatine are dehydration and cramping. Creatine draws water away from parts of the body and puts them into muscle cells, which makes the muscle big and stick out more. Because of the threat of dehydration and cramping, creatine users should drink between one to three gallons of water a day.
Although creatine increases the volume of muscle mass, it does not automatically make a person stronger. A proper diet and exercise are required to make the body benefit from Creatine.
“Creatine is not a magic pill. You can’t just take creatine and automatically get stronger. I’ve taken it for years, and I suggest people to take it,” Jon Magendie, Colonels athletic strength coach, said.
Most creatine users take it during a period called loading phase. A typical loading phase might be 20 grams of creatine every five days.
“The loading phase isn’t necessary, but it is recommended by every manufacturer. I take a spoon before bedtime. On a lift day when I am working out, I usually take a spoonful, which is less than five grams,” Magendie said.
In a creatine survey of 20 Nicholls student-athletes, which consisted of 10 males and females of every sport, five males said they use it daily. The other fifteen said they do not use creatine due to the cramping and dehydration concerns.
One of the creatine users, Colonels junior defensive back Gareth DiBetta, feels creatine is fairly safe. DiBetta said he has taken creatine periodically since high school, but has continually used it since last Thanksgiving. Since last year, DiBetta said he has gained about eight to 10 pounds of solid muscle mass.
“As long as you drink enough water, there are really no side effects beside the cramping and dehydration. It has many benefits like increasing weight, strength and size,” DiBetta said.
Even though creatine is considered safe, not all Colonel athletes feel the same way DiBetta does. Colonels’ freshman defensive tackle Sam Rideaux and freshman defensive back Chris Crawford said creatine is artificial and they both plan to stick to the old-fashioned method of getting stronger.
“It is a supplement that makes you big, but it doesn’t give you a lot of strength. I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody,” Crawford said.
“I never did it because it is fake. I want to be natural and build up my own strength, and I don’t need any help to try to build me up,” Rideaux said.
Since there have been no reported deaths linked to creatine, researchers said creatine is safe and legal. Jeff Smith, Nicholls head athletic trainer, said even though it is legal, creatine users should be cautious about the product.
“I think that if taken properly, creatine provides benefits depending on what your goals are. Users need to be really cautious about the product and know what you’re dealing with. If you are going to take something, make sure you know what you are taking and why you are taking it,” Smith said.
DiBetta said the most common misconception of creatine is that people think the more creatine you use means more muscle mass.
“Some health places like GNC say you are supposed to take 10 grams a serving, but they are really trying to get your money because your body can only handle about four to five grams of creatine, and the rest is wasted,” DiBetta said.
Nevertheless, DiBetta said the quick results from creatine make every user a better person.
“My coaches introduced it to me in high school, and when I saw the results, I stuck to it. I’ve gotten a few friends on it. Anytime you gain strength in size, you are going to gain a little confidence. And if you have confidence, you can line up against anybody. It helps your body take the wear and tear of the season better,” DiBetta said.