Emotion and leadership are essential to football

In 20 years on this planet, I have watched tons of football. Growing up in the football crazed state of Louisiana, I am just as enthusiastic about football as anyone else.
With several relatives who have played both collegiately and professionally, the game of football is in my blood and will always be the number one sport in my life.
But for a few hours after watching our beloved Saints get dismantled 55-21 by the Indianapolis Colts last Sunday, it seemed like football didn’t even matter anymore – well, at least to the Saints players. I could not understand how a professional football team can play so awfully and with so little discipline, especially on their home turf with millions watching around the nation.
Watching the Saints that night was like watching one of those boring 1920 silent films. The Saints’ performance was dull, boring and action-less. A pee wee football team or a parochial school full of midget monks could have fielded a better team against the Colts than the Saints.
In the meantime, the Saints players were too busy playing grabass and showing off to the ESPN television cameras on the sideline to focus on defeating the Colts.
I feel sorry for the fans who purchased tickets to see the Saints stink it up in the Superdome. After nearly 40 years of watching horrific Saints football, they deserve way better.
Throughout the entire game, the Saints players failed to show any heart, emotion, leadership or intensity. Any football diehard will tell you that these traits are essential for any team to be a winner in the game of football.
On offense, the Saints cannot find a way to score. Their defense has more holes in it than Swiss cheese and nothing is so special about special teams because kick returner Michael Lewis cannot find a way to get going this season.
It seems like Saints head coach Jim Haslett and his assistant coaches could not care less if the Saints play with emotion. Lack of leadership and emotion on and off the football field are the main reasons the Saints have missed the playoffs the past two seasons. No one, including the coaches, players or the owner, seems willing to step up and challenge this team.
The way a team performs on the field starts with the coaching staff. It is the coach’s responsibility to prepare his team for battle, both mentally and physically. Coaches need to step up to the plate and challenge their players to play every game like it’s their last. If the players they have cannot handle it, bench them and find someone who will.
Haslett needs to do what Giants coach Jim Fassel did during the 2001 season. After slumping to a disappointing record at midseason, Fassel demanded that no player or coach’s job was safe until he saw better results. The Giants didn’t lose another game until they made it to the Super Bowl.
Each of the Saints players also needs to step up and challenge one another. It is sometimes easy to blame the coaches, but the players are the ones who are actually on the field.
This week, the Saints have been trashed by both fans and foes. Maybe if they start feeling more embarrassed by their play, they will start to play better. But then again, these are the Saints we’re talking about.