Nicholls tractor wins rookie of the year

From May 26 through June 1, the Nicholls Engineering Technology Society (NETS) competed in an international quarter-scale tractor competition in East Moline, Ill. Competing against 37 other teams, the students won Rookie of the Year.”Over the year we overcame a lot of things. We were forced to make drastic changes at the end,” Damien Ledet, manufacturing technology senior from Thibodaux, said. “By winning, we were able to gain recognition for our school and our organization.”

The team consisted of 20 manufacturing technology majors, 19 males and one female. The students worked on the tractor for seven months. Going to this competition will be an annual event for NETS.

NETS is trying to get more students so that next year the team can make two tractors. The team members are planning to improve the tractor built in the spring and to build a new one. Although there were only 20 students, the groupp is looking for more for this year’s competition.

“Even though we placed 17th out of 37, I think that in the next five years we will definitely be in the top three,” Ryan Sellers, manufacturing technology senior from Houma, said.

The idea for building the tractor was based on affordability, time and background information. NETS is self-funded. All of the money that was used came from the community and from donations. The tractor cost about $3,000 to build. There were also fundraisers, including a jambalaya dinner and raffles. The goal this year is to raise $8,000.

“From this competition, I learned how much team work and communication can affect something. Next year, we are striving to do better,” Chris Aston, manufacturing and technology senior from Bourg, said. “Everyone in the society is closer now than they were before. We were having to deal with the pressure, so we got to see everyone’s strengths and weaknesses.”

About seven years ago, Nicholls competed in a go-cart race. Last spring was the first time that NETS competed in the tractor competition.