KNSU staffers give station headquarters edgy facelift

When Joshua “Maximus” McKnight became station manager at KNSU 91.5 FM before this semester, he knew some changes needed to be made.
So, he and his staff decided to give “The Edge” a facelift. After gaining approval by Mike Davis, assistant vice president for business affairs, to buy paint from Wal-Mart, the staff spent hours upon hours repainting and decorating the student radio station’s lobby. The crew completed the project in just three days — right before the beginning of the semester.
Now, neatly covered with colorful old albums and posters of musicians, the crew also plans to add a mural that will be painted by art majors on the vague back wall. The mural will be a reflection of the station’s image.
“This place looked atrocious and raggedy,” McKnight said. “We wanted to present a better image and make it a better atmosphere.”
The changes haven’t stopped there, though. With new mechanical equipment on the way that will allow the station’s airwaves to reach as far as Houma, McKnight said the station will focus on one issue more than they ever have before — giving back to the students.
“This year is all about bringing change while sticking a bit to the old ways,” he said. “But we are going back to what students want more because they pay for the station to be on the air.”
The addition of a regular news show will allow students to stay up-to-date on the happenings around the nation, state and most significantly — Nicholls. Led by director Joshua Zeringue, news reports are read at least once during every music show. KNSU, in addition, will also be adding more extensive sports coverage by the end of the semester.
Since Nicholls has not renewed their contract with the College Television Network and is no longer obligated to play CTN’s music in front of the Student Union, McKnight and the Union staff are working to redirect the speaker wires to broadcast KNSU in that area. KNSU only has one on-campus speaker, located between Talbot Hall and the Nicholls bookstore.
“Students are being deprived,” McKnight said. “It makes more sense to be aired near the Student Union so we can communicate with students better and get more publicity. Students can be better informed of what’s going on because the only students that hear us on campus are just walking between classes.”
McKnight said if an emergency or breaking news event occurs on campus during the day, students could respond quickly if they hear what is going through broadcast, rather than word of mouth, which he claims can take too long.
More exposure also means better chances for students to win giveaways from the station such as free concert tickets and passes, McKnight said. The station obtains tickets, sometimes up to $90 in value, from promoters at several venues where that artist or band will perform. KNSU is currently giving away tickets for Voodoo Fest 2003 during the Halloween weekend in New Orleans.
“Many times students will be hanging in front of the Union with nothing to do,” McKnight said. “But if they hear us, they can call on their cell phone to win those tickets. Many people look for free events like that to go to on the weekends.”
KNSU is also continuing new on-the-air shows that were started last semester because of former Student Government Association President Alcie Maxwell’s push to include diversity in the programming. Alongside the typical edgy alternative rock music, the station hosts several specialty shows including a variety of music such as country, hip-hop and soon techno.
Perhaps the Top 20 pop show, hosted by Mike “MacDaddy” Cobb during the noon hour, has been the most successful specialty show. “It’s quite a privilege to be able to play all different types of music for the students,” Cobb said. “Students can listen and know that songs they like will be on eventually.”
In addition, new talk shows were added last semester. Aired on Mondays from 1-2 p.m. and Wednesday from 1-3 p.m., the Free Speech show allows disk jockeys Jayson Lee and Dr. Glenn Antizzo to express their opinions on any topic with students. The Edge also airs the Howard Stern-like Nightowl’s Lounge show from midnight to 2 a.m. on weekdays. The talk shows were brought back this semester by popular demand from the students, McKnight said.
KNSU faculty adviser Lance Arnold is looking forward to the changes being made at the station and the ideas of McKnight and the staff. “Hopefully in the next few weeks we can get the engineers in there with the new equipment that will make KNSU mechanically better than ever. When that happens then we’ll see many of the ideas really come to life,” Arnold said.
DJ Cade “Cascade ” Voisin said the new changes would make the radio station a student-friendly place to be and pleasant to listen to. “We needed these changes and we are well on our way. Students will definitely feel like they are a part of KNSU now.”
Sure enough, students around campus are catching on. “It’s really great that KNSU is focusing on the students more,” Andrew Schlesinger, freshman from New Orleans, said. “They just need a little more publicity than what they are getting so students can enjoy the changes more.”
Trevor LeBlanc, vocal music sophomore from Houma, said KNSU “plays great music and more students should listen to them.”
Pleased with positive feedback from both students, faculty and staff, McKnight has just one thing to say to listeners: “Nicholls students can sit back, strap in and enjoy this semester and year because it will be a wild ride.”