New Sodexho chef promises upcoming cafeteria changes

Students should expect a change in the food and atmosphere of the Vernon F. Galliano Hall Cafeteria due to Sodexho’s recent hiring of a new chef.
Sodexho, the University’s food service provider, hired Chef Jack Shoaf a little over a month and a half ago. Chef Shoaf, who is in his third year with the company, comes to us with not only an associates degree in Hotel Restaurant Management from Oklahoma State at Okmulgee but with also two years experience in campus food services at the University of Mary Hardin – Baylor. Also, The Double Tree and Adams Mark Hotels combine for seven years of his culinary experience.
Chef Shoaf has a family history of food service. His father was a master baker and his stepfather owned a restaurant that he worked in when he was young. In response to questioning if this had an impact on his career choice, Chef Shoaf said, “Growing up in this business, it’s in my blood, but I’ve always loved food.”
Chef Jack Shoaf came here with a passion and a purpose. He wants to give the cafeteria a face-lift and make it more inviting and festive. He also wants to upgrade the menu cycle with a focus on south Louisiana cuisine. Healthier dining and more variety are two of his goals.
In the short amount of time that Chef Shoaf has been here, he has already done work to upgrade the salad bar and create an action station where a customer’s food is prepared right there in front of them when they order it. He has also brought in a beverage dispenser which will only contain non-carbonated beverages including iced tea, lemonade and POWERade. He is also in the works of redoing the pizza line and upgrading the deli and baked potato bar.
“I hope to satisfy as many people as possible,” said Chef Shoaf. He knows of problems that have happened in the past but maintains, “Some of these problems have not happened since I have been here and the rest are getting fixed.” His plan is to “learn something new everyday but some of this happens through trial and error, so hopefully the students can be a little patient with me at first.”
“This should have been made a long time ago. The cafeteria seems more lively,” said Crystal Snead, junior from Kenner, LA and president of the Food Advisory Association. Jason Lisotta, a senior from Metairie, LA said, “There are nice people and decent food; no real complaints, except that there should be no more liver, it’s disgusting.”
When questioned on how he feels about the students’ opinions of the cafeteria, Chef Shoaf said “I want feedback both negative and positive. I want to exceed people’s expectations not just meet them.” He encourages students to fill out the comment cards placed in the front of the cafeteria so he can make changes as needed. “If a student has a problem and they want to talk me, I am usually here from 6 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the evening everyday except Saturday,” Chef Shoaf said.
Chef Shoaf wants to get more students involved and help them make the cafeteria more than just a place to eat than leave. He has four students from the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute working for him. He also plans on continuing the theme nights with tonight being the first steak night this semester.