Students perform CPR to save fellow classmate’s life

A life was saved on Tuesday by the quick acts of two Nicholls students. In a World History class, a female student in the back of the classroom appeared to seize and stopped breathing. Mary Meyers and Anjuli LeBlanc, two freshmen in the class, took control and performed CPR while Scott Phipps, history instructor, called for medical help.

“Mr. Phipps was teaching, and he just stopped mid sentence and asked if a girl in the back was okay,” Meyers said. “She looked like she was having a seizure.”

While Phipps contacted emergency services, most of the class cleared the room with the exception of Meyers, LeBlanc and a few spectator students.

“I was holding her head up so that she wouldn’t swallow her tongue,” Meyers said. “She stopped breathing, so me and Anjuli started doing CPR.”

After the attempts of Meyer and LeBlanc, the student started breathing again and became conscious. Meyer has tutored kids for four years and said you have to know CPR to be certified.

Meyers said word spread fast around campus.

“I went to my sorority’s hang out spot in the union to tell them about it,” Meyers said. “They sent out a mass text message to all 97 girls, so it didn’t take long for everyone to know. People would come up to me and say, ‘You look happy,’ and I would say ‘I just saved a life!’ “

Although posts from friends on her Facebook call her a hero, Meyers says she does not want to be considered one.

“I feel like I have motherly instincts, and I worked with kids all my life,” Meyers said. “When I see someone who needs help, I’m going to go and help them. I don’t consider myself a hero; it is just something that needs to be done.