Colonel Close Up

Louisiana native wants out
Tad Naquin, biology sophomore from Napoleonville, sketches after classes on Monday.
Photo by: Maryna Fowler

A Nicholls student’s former petting zoo business and interest in biology lead him to his current major.Tad Naquin, biology sophomore from Napoleonville, has wanted to move away from Louisiana since he could remember. Naquin said he has always wanted to travel.

“Nicholls is the college I came to so I can dip my feet in as far as my college career goes. I plan on moving to Michigan to continue my major,” Naquin said. “They don’t just stay in class or look at water samples of the bayou, they’re more hands on there.”

“If there was one thing I was good at in high school, it was always science,” Naquin said.

Biology is Naquin’s favorite science because he likes learning about the plants and animals around him and how they work.

“I love ecology and how one animal relates to another.”

Naquin manages to maintain a high grade point average in his favorite subject and even tutors people when he has the time.

Naquin’s efforts to move are not in vain; he currently works two jobs to save up enough to be able to get out of Louisiana. He works at both the Walgreens and the Cypress Café in Donaldsonville. Naquin’s jobs require him to wait tables at the café and to process pictures and run the floor at Walgreen’s. Naquin said that he’s come across dirty pictures while on the job at Walgreens, but other than that, his jobs are nothing out of the ordinary.

When Naquin isn’t working, he’s at school or at home studying for school. The small amount of free time he has to himself is spent with his friends. Laser tag and going to the movies are just a few of the activities that Naquin likes to do with his friends.

“Because my friends go to different schools out of state, I want to be able to hang with them when they come home.”

One of Naquin’s other hobbies include reading.