Rockin’ Review

Memphis May Fire: Between the Lies

Last week’s review was on Memphis May Fire’s debut album, “Sleepwalking” and I gave it a 4.5 out of 5. In that same review, I promised to cover their new EP as soon as it came out. Well folks, as of this morning, MMF has blown me away again with the release of “Between The Lies,” now available on iTunes.MMF was known throughout the scene as a ‘southern metal’ band. Over the past year, MMF has toured with hardcore bands such as Asking Alexandria and A Skylit Drive. I think it is safe to say that they have picked up a few new thing

The EP has way more breakdowns than the full length and is heavier in all aspects. The first song, called “Be Careful What You Wish For,” is a great example of the new sound. The song starts with a short intro into a crazy-fast guitar solo followed by the familiar rhythmic vocals that makes MMF great. The song goes heavier later on and throws out some pretty awesome rhythms. It displays the heavier influences over the past year without betraying the sound that fans are used to hearing from the band.

The second track is called “Action/Adventure” and brings back the sound that is very similar to “Ghost in the Mirror” from the first album. The highlight in this song is easily the vocals. Matty Mullins impresses me once again with his amazing range and use of pitches in his vocals. This song displays his amazing, clean vocals and mid-pitched screaming from the first CD and even shows something listeners may not be used to-highs and lows.

The third track is called “Vaulted Ceilings” and is what I would call the interlude. This is very similar to the song “Louder than Thunder” from The Devil Wears Prada’s latest album, “With Roots Above and Branches Below,” and “Don’t Fall Asleep At The Helm” by Sleeping With Sirens. The song is pretty mellow up until the very end where we are given a very unsuspected breakdown.

The fourth track is called “Deuces Las Cruses.” It features the ‘southern rock’ feel of the first CD, but mixes a few breakdowns and even a little bit of techno.

The final song is called “Gingervitus,” and is named in honor of the redheaded Mullins. This song, along with the first track, is my favorite song of the EP. It combines the best clean vocalic chorus of the CD with the best breakdowns of the CD. It is no secret that MMF put their heart and soul into this song.

The first song says, “You have no idea what we’re capable of.” The band could never have been more truthful. This EP earns an easy 5 out of 5 because it is just amazing. Many bands these days have problems with following up a great debut record with an even greater one. Memphis May Fire has done just that with the release of “Between The Lies.