The Geekly Weekly

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Greetings, fellow gamers, and welcome to the Geekly Weekly! Each week, I will be reviewing a video game for you to enjoy. I am a gamer myself, and I have no boundaries when it comes to my love for the virtual world. Games from Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and iPhone will be subject for review. If there is a game that you would like me to review, please send your suggestion to [email protected] 2009, Call of Duty has been a household name. In the past two years, Activision and Infinity Ward has released three games: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With each game’s release, the franchise has reached new heights in popularity. The newest installment in the series, Call of Duty: Black Ops, has caused a mania since it’s release on Nov. 9, 2010.

According to Wikipedia, Black Ops sold 5.6 million units in the first 24 hours of its release in the United States and United Kingdom. Black Ops beat part one of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by earning $360 million, twice as much as the release of the film.

The campaign has you playing as Alex Mason, a man involved in many cold war and Vietnam operative cases. Now, I don’t want to give away any of the story, so if you want to know more about Mason, I’m afraid you will have to play the game. The gameplay in the campaign is nothing short of awesome. It is not very often that you get to play a war game that is in a different era than World War II.

The graphics are just as great as the other Call of Duty games, and the attention to detail makes you feel like you’re a part of the Black Ops team.

In my opinion, this game is great. I am not big fan of first person shooters, but this game has changed me. Upon beating the campaign mode, I looked to play many other first-person shooters in hopes that they can match my craving for such gameplay as Black Ops. The multiplayer, however, is a different story.

I have reason to believe the multiplayer portion of the game is one of the main reasons that so many units were sold in the first 24 hours. I also have reason to believe that the multiplayer portion is the reason for the lagging and bugs on the PC and Playstation 3 versions of the game.

The multiplayer part of Black Ops comes with a unique leveling system in which you earn Call Of Duty points that act as money for buying new weapons and weapon attachments. It is a great addition to the multiplayer portion of the game in my opinion. Although I find it difficult to earn points, the better you get at playing, the more experience and CoD points you receive.

If you are thinking of picking up the game, I suggest you do so because the campaign and the multiplayer will keep you submersed for several hours at best. I give Call of Duty: Black Ops a 9 out of 10.