Changes continue through break

Construction continues Jan. 18 at the site of the future recreation center.
Photo by: Bridget Mire

Though students had a break for Christmas and New Year’s holidays, other people did not.As students arrived on campus they may have noted some changes.

Nicholls has not only been surrounded by new construction updates but also deaths, new classes and arrests.

For those who are just arriving on campus or have yet to hear the latest scoop in class, here is what you missed while you were out.

Talbot Elevator: It’s completed! The maze students once had to go through to reach the outside world is now over. The ending of this construction will allow us to rush to class and make it on time, gain the few pounds we lost by walking around and give us a way to get upstairs when we are unable to walk up the stairs or are too lazy to do so.

Recreation Center: We finally broke ground! After years of collecting fees from everyone that basically walks on this campus, we have now started to at least move dirt around. Students should start seeing a more defined structure going up throughout the year. While some of us will not be here when the rec center actually opens its doors, it feels good that our fee money is finally being used.

Blake Kenworthey: Nicholls lost a talented art student to a tragic car accident at the end of the semester. While some students know him as the quad painted from a picture in the yearbook, all who saw his work knew him as an artist. His talents led him to achievements early in life, such as a mural in the city of Slidell, a painting on the front of the Yellow Pages and countless awards throughout his life. Most art students and professors said that they were looking forward to his senior show within the next year.

Snack Bar Area: New options, new look and new prices. After taking away the beloved Chick-fil-a, students were left with few food choices, more expensive prices and fewer places to choose from without going off campus. Besides adding new and better tasting food, the food court now looks cool and up-to-date. We are now looking at a new and updated Nicholls rather than the Nicholls ya mama went to.

New Courses: Despite budget cuts, departments on campus have worked their hardest to get us new and exciting courses. While not all majors have new courses, it is exciting to have new classes to choose from.

Arrests: Two Nicholls employees paid a visit to the local slammer after being accused of theft. While these two employees are still on campus as of now, we must remember people are innocent until proven guilty. Even though these two employees may or may not have committed a crime, we must treat them as if nothing happened.

Coffee: Students will have to wait a little longer as the drive-thru coffee shop may not be completed until closer to the summer. For now, students can see the construction as they drive by Ayo Hall and Ellender Hall while stopping in the Student Union to get a generic cup of coffee. Students will have to wait until the hot months to get their hot, tasty beverage.

Palm Trees: The scenery along the outfield wall looks like a scene from Florida as palm trees now line the wall.

Bathrooms: People who attend softball games will no longer have to rush across the street, doing the potty dance, to use the bathroom in the University Police office, the closest bathroom to the field. The bathroom should be completed by the softball season.