Colonels gear toward last game of the year

Fans fill Guidry Stadium for the Oct. 9 football game against Sam Houston.
Photo by: Bridget Mire

The Nicholls State football team hosts the Southeastern Lions tonight in the River Bell Classic for the final game of the season.The Lions have a 2-8 record after losing to Southland Conference rival Stephen F. Austin.

The Colonels have a 3-7 record after a 37-7 victory over Northwestern State.

The River Bell Classic will be the last game seniors will play in John L. Guidry Stadium.

“They’ve done well,” Nicholls head coach Charlie Stubbs said. “It’s unfortunate I’m not going to have them back. They’ve gone through some things and transition. I’ve took some guys that ran the option to run the multiple pro offense and guys on defense to play in an odd (man) front. A lot of them really have super futures ahead.”

Last year, the Colonels defeated the Lions 45-30 and were led on offense by sophomore quarterback Laquinton Caston, who rushed for two touchdowns.

This year, the Colonels are home and will take the field for the first time at night in John L. Guidry Stadium at 6 p.m. in a blackout game.

“I think it’s exciting, playing on a Thursday when most of the students are still here,” Stubbs said. “I really hope we have a tremendous crowd with a lot of enthusiasm so we can really have this stadium like it’s our 12th man.” Coming off of a short week, the Colonels don’t have much time to prepare for the Lions.

“I’ve got to be very careful,” Stubbs said. “The biggest thing is I’m about another recruiting year away from having all the depth that we’ll need, but right now we’re very thin so I’ll have to be smart in our preparations. I’d rather have the short week and play on Thursday just so we would have fan support rather than a long week.”

Even though the Colonels didn’t make the playoffs this season, it doesn’t mean that this game is of little importance.

Part of rebuilding a program for Stubbs is getting more recruits to come in and be a Colonel.

“Our recruiting is going very well right now,” Stubbs said. “There’s a lot of optimism because of us playing so many freshmen this year. All of these kids that we are recruiting can look on the field and say, ‘Hey, I can get out on the field at Nicholls and contribute right off.'”

In the Colonels last game of the year, Coach Stubbs said it is essential for the Colonels to finish strong.

“It’s so important to finish on a strong note,” Stubbs said. “It will carry into your offseason program, and it’s just something to build on.

Sophomore wide receiver Joshua Warren runs the ball during the Nov. 6 game against Stephen F. Austin. (Bridget Mire)