The Rockin’ Review

A Day to Remember

A Day To Remember is one of the most unique bands in the business. The five piece from Ocala, Florida combines pop-punk influences with the breakdowns and panic chords that make up metalcore. While many have tried and failed to combine these two genres, ADTR has definitely found the right formula. They rocked the world with their last album, “Homesick,” and as of November 16, they have done it again.The band’s newest record is entitled “What Separates Me From You.” The record definitely leans more to the pop-punk side in terms of quantity, but the metalcore moments are the most memorable.

The record kicks off with the song “Sticks and Bricks.” The growls and clean vocals balance each other out pretty well. The instrumentals follow along with the vocals as they transition from heavy gained verses to the more subtle, clean tones.

The pop-punk sound is obvious in the songs “It’s Complicated,” “This Is The House That Doubt Built,” “Better Off This Way” and “All Signs Point To Lauderdale.” Listeners compare these songs to bands such as blink-182 and New Found Glory. Some even compare lead vocalist Jeremy McKinnon to Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump.

For as much pop-punk that shows up on the record, the highlights of the album are easily the heavier songs. “2nd Sucks” and “You Be Tails, I’ll Be Sonic” definitely favor the aggression of metalcore. When the song does not slow down by the transition to clean vocals or clean guitar, listeners are graced with some pretty epic breakdowns.

A Day To Remember’s new album, “What Separates Me From You” earns a 4 out of 5. It definitely has enough happening to keep you interested, but not every song is as good as the rest. For those who love metalcore and/or pop-punk, ADTR is definitely a great way to mix things up without abandoning your favorite genre. Check out “What Separates Me From You,” now available on iTunes.