Nicholls’ tobacco-free policy receives mixed feelings

A no- smoking sign is displayed on Acadia Drive. As of January 1, Nicholls has become a tobacco-free campus..
Photo by: Maryna Fowler

Nicholls students and faculty share mixed feelings regarding the new campus-wide tobacco free policy that was made effective on Jan. 1.”This policy change comes after much discussion and deliberation on campus,” Renee Piper, director of University relations said. “The University has committed to help safeguard the health of everyone who attends, works or lives at Nicholls by joining more than 360 other college and university campuses where tobacco is prohibited.”

Some students are glad to see the new rule being put in to effect.

“I think the new policy is great,” Jessica Blanchard, freshman from Pierre Part, said.

Mary Meyers, freshman from Covington, said that she thinks this is a good choice for both smokers and non-smokers.

“This will not only help our campus look good but also set a healthy role to the community and maybe even help some smokers quit the habit,” Meyers said.

Chelsie Bergeron, freshman from Pierre Part, had the same idea.

“I am relieved that this was finally enforced,” Bergeron said. “It not only affects the tobacco users on campus but the entire student body and faculty. The campus can become cleaner and safer for everyone. “

Some students are not as happy to hear about the new policy, and some believe different measures should have been used.

“I think the ban on smoking on campus is cool but not totally necessary,” John Meyer, freshman from Napoleonville, said. “Maybe they should make smoking zones or limit smoking to parking lots only, and if you are caught outside of the zones you can be ticketed.”

“I think this is a terrible new rule that Nicholls put in place,” Matt Labat, freshman from Thibodeaux, said. “Smoking inside is one thing, but as long as there is a designated place, it should be allowed.”

Eugene Dial, vice president of student affairs and enrollment services, said that this change is due to the lack of compliance with the old policy, which allowed students to smoke 25 feet away from campus buildings.

“If you walk around any building, you’ll see hundreds of cigarette butts right next to the entrance every day,” Dial said.

Regardless of the reasons, some students believe that this new policy is “a violation of our rights as American citizens,” Katie Williams, history senior from Covington, said. “I would understand this rule on a private university’s campus, but this is a public university.”

Despite the difficulty of quitting smoking, some students believe that this new rule with benefit the overall health of Nicholls.

“I am very thankful that this policy is finally being put into action,” Bergeron said. “I feel that tobacco users may not know it yet, but this has probably saved their lives.