Defense class offered for Nicholls women

Rape Aggression Defense classes, designed to bring awareness to sexual assault and teach participants about prevention and defense, will be held at the University from Nov. 10-12 under the director of three certified R.A.D. instructors.The course is the country’s largest and fastest growing self-defense program for women and is taught at over 400 college campuses across the United States and Canada, according to the University’s Web site. It is the only self-defense program endorsed by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators and offers a lifetime opportunity for participants to continue increasing the physical skills taught through the trademark Lifetime Return and Practice Policy.

According to the Louisiana Foundation Against Sexual Assault, one in four female college students have been the victim of rape or attempted rape, and 73 percent of female victims knew their attacker. As stated on the University’s Web site, safety and survival in assault situations require a “definite course of action,” and R.A.D. provides options by teaching females how to be proactive in their own safety and well-being.

The course is split up into three four-hour courses held over a period of three evenings.

Session one will involve discussions of risk reduction tactics, date rape, survival and defense. How to develop a defensive mindset, defensive and offensive postures, vulnerable locations and utilizing personal weapons will also be discussed.

Hands-on training will begin in session two. The techniques taught are based on simple motor skills and can be made instinctive through repetition.

In session three, students will participate in simulated assault scenarios with instructors. Protective gear designed for the course will be worn by both instructor and participant. Participants will be given the opportunity to use their acquired skills in a safe training environment.

Coordinator of Women’s Resource and Service Office Sabrina Laurent said the classes will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 10 in the Lafitte Room of the Student Union and Thursday and Friday, Nov. 11 and 12 in the Bayou Suite of the Student Union. All classes will begin at 2 p.m. and are open to all female faculty, staff and students. Laurent, Michele Caruso of Student Services and Christy Hawkshurst of University Police, all certified instructors, will teach the course. Anyone who is not a member of the University may take classes with the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office, that are held throughout the year.

In the past, class sizes have ranged between 10 to 20 people. Laurent said this allows one-on-one instruction time.

Participants who complete the course will receive a manual that outlines the entire physical defense portion of the course for future reference and includes a lifetime return and practice privilege to attend R.A.D. classes anywhere for free. Laurent said there has been at least one returning participant in every class.

Laurent said she has seen a positive impact on participants.

“It’s a very empowering experience that raises awareness and provides women with tools and options when it comes to defending themselves,” Laurent said. “I absolutely recommend women take the class, whether it’s here on campus or one of the classes offered in the community.”

The course is free and those interested can call (985)448-4080 to register.