Stand Up invites students to protest budget cuts

Amy Mahler, art senior from St. Rose and interim president of Stand Up, a student organization to battle budget cuts, talks to a crowd of students, faculty and staff outside the student union last week about the possibility of budget cuts and their effect
Photo by: Misty McElroy

Stand Up, the student organization founded to fight higher education budget cuts, will be holding a rally at the state capitol on Nov. 10 and a concert in Houma on Nov. 6.Amy Mahler, art senior from St. Rose and interim president of Stand Up, said that the main goal of the organization is to raise awareness, so if the event at the state capitol receives any publicity, the organization will have accomplished its goal.

“UNO, ULL, Southeastern and LSU will be participating,” Mahler said. “Being involved with the other universities shows unity and it also shows that they’re all trying to spread awareness too.”

The rally will last from approximately 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“We want people to meet by the stadium on the Ayo side around 10:15,” Mahler said. “We plan to leave Nicholls at 10:30 and arrive at the capital around 11:30.”

Mahler said that although everyone is invited, the organization will not tolerate aggressive or violent acts. Students need to remember to act responsibly.

“If you’re wearing a Stand Up shirt, you’re representing Stand Up; just like if you’re wearing a Nicholls shirt, you’re representing Nicholls,” Mahler said. “If the police arrive, and you’re handcuffed in a Stand Up shirt, all credibility that Stand Up had up until then is completely gone.”

Stephen Hulbert, University president, said that he will also attend the rally in Baton Rouge.

“I was there last year for the Nicholls rally and will be there again this year for the Nicholls rally,” Hulbert said.

Hulbert said that he is “pleased” students are going to the state capitol with some of the other colleges in the area. He said that because the rally is not an official University function, he understands that the circumstance may prevent students from participating.

“I know that some faculty have communicated with the other faculty members, asking them to be cooperative and considerate of students who would like to attend the rally, and I hope that faculty will take that into account,” Hulbert said. “But it is not an official University function.”

Stand Up has also coordinated an event with the City Club of Houma to have a benefit rock concert on Nov. 6 to raise awareness.

Rock 4 Change will feature local bands the AutoPilots, Autumn High and Sons of William.

“The charge at the door will be $7,” Mahler said. “We didn’t want it to be an over-the-top cover, but people also need to know that this is a fundraiser, and if we want to do any kind of campaign in Thibodaux or Houma, we need money.”

Mahler said that the organization hopes to continue printing T-shirts and posters and eventually rent billboards.

Ethan Belanger, guitarist for the AutoPilots, said that they’re excited for the show. He said the City Club of Houma asked the young, local bands to play in an attempt to spark the interest of college students.

Belanger, Louisiana State University general studies sophomore from Houma, said that Rock 4 Change is going to be a good show.

“We’re always up to play music. It’s fun for us,” Belanger said, “and we know the budget cuts will affect us all, so we’re in it for the cause.”

Mahler said that she hopes Rock 4 Change can be a concert series.

“We would like to have another one here in Thibodaux if the first one is successful, but we don’t have finalized plans yet,” Mahler said.