Culinary dean shares family, religious insight

“We were taught in our family that we are an American first and a Jew second,” are the words that came out of George Kaslow’s mouth.Kaslow, acting dean of the John Folse Culinary Institute, says that his father taught him that he would always be a minority.

“He taught me that I need to learn how to live in whatever part of the country I move to,” Kaslow said. “I need to adapt. I know I’m going to be different. Big nose, blue eyes, I say everything wrong. Bottom line is, we have been welcomed here.”

Kaslow says he has not always been given a warm welcome like he received here in Thibodaux. In Kaslow’s native home of the Bronx, New York, he faced discrimation growing up.

“I couldn’t be in the Boy Scouts when I was a little boy,” Kaslow says. “I wanted to try the fire department, but I couldn’t. I wanted to be a ball boy at Forest Hills, a very famous clay tennis tournament court, but no Jews were allowed to join the club. I wasn’t allowed to do a lot of little things like that.”

Kaslow says the “every Jew is rich and a doctor” stereotype is valid. There is a high pressure from Jewish families for academic success.

There are three types of Jews. Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. Orthodox Jews are the old-fashioned Jews who do not believe in shaving, wear all black and believe that women have no rights. Conservative Jews are still traditional, but nothing like Orthodox Jews. For example, women have some rights, and they do not wear all black. Reform Jews are the most modern; women have completely equal rights as men.

Kaslow comes from a long line of Jews. His parents and his grandparents were all Jewish as well.

“My mother and father were Conservative,” Kaslow says. “My grandparents were Orthodox. My brother is Conservative, and my sister is Reform. I consider myself Conservative.”

Kaslow’s favorite thing about being a Jew is the food.

“It’s a lot of Eastern European, Russian, German (food),” Kaslow says. “It’s very similar to a Muslim diet. I like brisket and my mother’s Kasha.”

Kasha is a mushroom, barley and bow-tied pasta dish. According to Kaslow, it’s very good and very stereotypical.