Misic fulfills dream at Colonels defensive lineman

Sophomore defensive lineman Milan Misic’s dream began to flourish with a little research on the Internet.The 6-foot-2-inch, 292-pound Misic, who is from Cologne, Germany, wished to play football but knew the chances any college coach would hear about him were slim. So, he took the initiative to contact colleges himself.

“I was calling the colleges, and I asked them if there was any interest for a defensive tackle,” Misic said. “I never really got recruited. I recruited myself. I’m from Germany. I played there so they probably couldn’t know about me.”

Seven colleges requested that Misic send them tapes of him, and three schools offered him scholarships. One of the three offers came from Nicholls, where he accepted a scholarship.

When asked why he chose Nicholls, Misic said, “I like ‘Dirty South’ music. I didn’t know where Nicholls State was, and then the coach told me it was in Louisiana, and I said, ‘I’m coming. I’m coming to the ‘Dirty South.'”

Before coming to Nicholls as a late addition to the 2004 signing class, Misic had played football in the German Football League since the age of 10. He said the league was not a professional league, but rather one where a person pays a membership and is allowed to play football.

Because there are no athletic programs in German high schools, people play on club teams, which Misic did.

Misic said the support for German football is different from what is found in south Louisiana.

“American football in Germany has no attention,” Misic said. “Nobody knows about it. When I played for a German National Team, and we won the European Championship, I told my friends, and some of my friends asked me, ‘They have football in Germany’? Soccer’s the big game there. Nobody cares about other sports really.”

Misic said he played different sports when he was younger, but football was the first sport he continued to play.

“When I became 15, I got serious about it, and right now I’m living my dream that I made it here to college,” Misic said.

When he came to America, Misic had to adjust to how football is played in the United States. He said players in the GFL could have success if they were big and strong, but when he came to Nicholls, he said size and strength were not everything. He said in America you have to be quicker, and there is more technique involved.

Head football coach Jay Thomas, said he has seen a lot of improvement in Misic.

“He has come light years since he’s been here,” Thomas said. “(He has improved) physically, mentally (and) even with his agility. He’s really worked at it. He works hard at everything he does, so he’s really improved as a player.”

When Misic came to Nicholls, Thomas said a problem arose with the NCAA as to whether he played professionally in the GFL, but it was cleared because the GFL is not a professional league.

Senior defensive lineman Brady Vavala said Misic plays a vital role on the interior of the defensive line because of his ability to shut down the run. He said Misic also motivates the team because of his German culture.

Misic, who is working towards a degree in graphic design, said he is unsure about his future plans when he graduates.

“I don’t know if I will live here or if I can stay here because I have a student visa, and that just counts for my study,” Misic said. “When I am finished, I’ll have to go back I guess. I don’t know yet, but I think I might have to.