Sports Briefs

SoftballThe Nicholls softball team ended its fall on a positive note after going 4-1 at the Spring Klein Tournament.

The Lady Colonels recorded victories over Baylor, Louisiana-Lafayette, Southern Miss. and Texarkana College.

Nicholls, who went 50-for-128 from the plate for a .390 batting average, began the weekend with a 10-1 win over Texarkana College.

Senior infielder Leah Peterson led the team with three hits including a home run in the first frame. Peterson hit one of Nicholls’ seven homers on the weekend.

The Lady Colonels continued their winning ways with a 10-3 victory over Baylor.

Nicholls’ final two victories came against Louisiana-Lafayette and Southern Miss. After taking down the Ragin’ Cajuns, 8-1, Nicholls pulled out a 9-4 win over Southern Miss.

Football

Nicholls took an early lead over Sam Houston State and never looked back as the Colonels defeated the Bearkats, 37-17, at John L. Guidry Stadium Saturday. The Colonels moved to 2-3 and 1-1 in Southland Conference action, while the Bearkats dropped 1-4 and 0-2 on the season.

The Colonels’ offense finished the afternoon with 497 total yards, 471 coming on the ground. Freshman running back Zach Morgan led all rushers with 101 yards on nine carries, with his longest run being a 46-yarder to the Bearkats 11-yard line that eventually set up junior running back Joseph Tobias’ touchdown to open the fourth quarter. Senior quarterback Yale Vannoy ran 18 times for 139 yards with a long of 59 yards. He also completed 3 of 4 passes for 26 yards.

Defensively, junior linebacker Cory Vavala led Nicholls with six total tackles, four of which were solo tackles, one quarterback sack for a six-yard loss, one pass break-up and an interception returned for seven yards.