Career Day to be held Wednesday

Career Day will be held Oct. 12, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. in the Donald G. Bollinger Memorial Student Union Ballroom. There will be representatives from a variety of companies to answer questions about the careers they provide and qualifications for their companies.

All companies will be accepting rsums, and some may be accepting applications as well. Most companies will be setting up interviews with students for another day.

“It’s a great networking experience for people to come in and learn how to talk to potential employers and meet with them,” Kristie Tauzin, director of career services, said.

Students should go to Career Day appropriately dressed to meet with a potential employer.

“We want people to realize that you’re making a first impression with a potential employer,” Tauzin said.

People are to dress for an interview. “We don’t want people to go in a baseball cap, shorts or jeans or looking like they just woke up,” Tauzin says, “We want people to look as nice as they can.”

Students who are not in the market for a job are also welcome at Career Day. Students can find out what positions an employer will offer.

Students that are in the market for a job should bring a rsum with them. They should also bring references and prepare questions to ask employers about their businesses. Students should prepare to answer questions about themselves and their qualifications from an employer.

“You want to make the best first impression that you can,” Tauzin said. There will be representatives from businesses such as Coca-Cola Enterprises, Exxon Mobil, state department of labor, The Courier and The Comet, Walgreen’s and area hospitals.

Career Day will have booths set up and students may walk from employer to employer asking questions and meeting the recruiters.