Homecoming Court, SGA, SPA changes on upcoming ballot

On this fall’s ballot students will be able to select the homecoming court nominations and vote on constitutional changes for the Student Government Association and the Student Programming Association.Students carrying at least seven hours or paying the SGA fee will be able to vote from midnight Oct. 10 until 11:59 p.m. Oct. 12 online on the Nicholls Web site.

There are 18 women and 14 men listed for the homecoming nominations. Seven will be chosen for the homecoming court, from which the king and queen will be picked.

Also on the ballot is an amendment to Article III, The Legislative Branch, Section Three, Powers and Duties, Letter D, Number one of the SGA Constitution.

The motion says that monetary motions exceeding $300 will be automatically tabled so that senators have the chance to look at the motion and decide if it is necessary or not.

Presently, it is monetary motions exceeding $150 that must be tabled, which SGA executive board members said cause time conflicts.

Steve Escobar, business administration senior from Nicaragua and SGA director of student rights and grievances, so moved.

“I wanted to change that to make it quicker because even after you approve the motion, it has to go through purchasing, and it’s a complicated process. And it takes a long time,” Escobar said. “In order to do more stuff for the students and do it quickly, we decided to motion a change.”

Another item on the ballot is a constitutional change for SPA. Presently, the SPA has one person as the secretary/business officer. SPA is proposing that the title be split into one secretary and one business officer.

“There were mishaps and misunderstandings about the secretary and business officers, and we needed to clarify the description and qualifications of the positions,” Lee Dufrene, business administration senior from Thibodaux and SPA president, said.

The secretary would take down minutes and take roll of attendance, and the business officer would act as a compliance person and handle financial budgeting.

The SPA presently has an internal and an external publicity coordinator. The SPA is motioning to dispense with the position of External Publicity Director in Article III Section VI.

The SPA is also moving to remove Article VI, Section 1, from the SPA Constitution. This is due to the fact that Article VI, Section 1, is under Qualifications for and Removal from Office, but it should be under Elections and Appointments, where it is also located, Dufrene said.