Franzsters need more diversity

“You Could Have It So Much Better,” is Franz Ferdinand’s sophomore release, which is make or break time for bands that experience critical success on their first album. For the most part, they deliver a party album with the same post-punk clipped guitar riffs they made famous as leaders of the neo-Brit pop movement.Franz Ferdinand is a good singles band. That usually means a band can produce a few good songs per album to keep them on top of the charts. This Scottish quartet is a little different. Their entire album is filled with potential chart topping singles. This is Franz Ferdinand’s drawback. They are best digested in three-minute burst. No songs on the album are unlistenable, but they are just unlistenable in consecutive order.

“You Could Have It So Much Better” is filled with so many catchy hooks a listener can almost find them boring and mundane after about the third track.

Album highlights include the near perfect grooves of “I Am Your Villain” and “Do You Want To.” The Franzsters do bring down the tempo on refreshing tracks such as “Eleanor Put Your Boots On” and “Fade Together.”

Franz Ferdinand continue on as leaders of their distinctive sound, but need to infuse more diversity in their delivery in order to keep fans listening.