Art Works fundraiser exhibits student and local talent

“Art Works,” a fundraiser benefitting the Nicholls’ Art Program Enhancement, is scheduled for Tuesday, April 1 in Talbot Hall from 6 to 9 p.m.  
The main goal of this fundraiser is to raise money for student scholarships, student development and equipment.
The Art Works fundraiser is a part of Nicholls State University’s Presidential Inaugural Week events in celebration of Bruce Murphy’s upcoming inauguration.
For $50, anyone can purchase a ticket to the event. Student-submitted artwork, as well as pieces from faculty, alumni and community members, will be on display and for sale.  
Jean Donegan, art department head, explained that the fundraiser is more than just an art show.
There will be a silent auction and a juried student show, which is an art exhibition where individuals judge the works. There will also be prizes for winning students.  All artwork from the juried show will be available to purchase for $50 each.
“We have a big show in the gallery with over thirty works of art,” Donegan said, referring to the silent auction.
“A lot of our faculty showed nationally and internationally, so they have some really nice pieces,” explained Donegan. “Community members have submitted pieces. We have a piece from Billy Ledet, a Mary Boudreaux [piece] and a duck decoy from Robbie Matherne,” Donegan said.
Those in attendance should dress comfortably because there will also be some hands-on activities.
There will be plenty of food and unique entertainment, which is going to be a lot of fun, according to Donegan. There will be many faculty and student demonstrations including metal pouring, printmaking and raku art, which involves taking hot ceramics out of a kiln.
Attendees will be able to tour studios and observe the students at work. Students are very excited about the fundraiser. Not everyone knows how photographs are processed in dark rooms or how clay feels in the hands of a potter on the wheel, but at this fundraiser, participants will experience it first hand.
Participants will also be able to create their own cyanotype, which is a historical photographic process.
Deborah Lillie, assistant director of art, explained exactly what cyanotypes are and how they will be created at the fundraiser.
“The way we’ll be doing [cyanotypes] is actually going to be cameraless  photography. It’s going to involve using other things to create what would be the negative in a traditional dark room print,” explained Lillie.
For ticket information, contact the Art Department at 985-448-4597, [email protected]. Checks should be made payable to “Nicholls Foundation – Art Works.”