Editor encourages students to try something new

So, this may be shocking to those who don’t know me very well, but even though I’m a senior from just down the bayou in Raceland, I’ve never ridden in a pirogue before, never tailgated and never been to a Nicholls homecoming game.Yes, it’s un-American, un-Cajun and un-Nicholls. However, for the past two homecomings, I’ve been at out-of-state conferences, and my freshman year, well I was a typical, uninvolved freshman.

But all that’s going to change this week.

Tuesday, I slid into a pirogue, and I, along with my photo editor Amy Ford, paddled our way to, well, defeat. However, both of us, “pirogue virgins” as she termed us, managed to remain out of whatever lurks in the murky Bayou Lafourche waters.

While it has been hectic trying to supervise the production of this week’s special homecoming issue and participate in homecoming festivities, it has been fulfilling. Week after week, the staff writes about how lacking the students are toward supporting Nicholls and exhibiting school spirit. It was time for me to throw aside my books and pick up a paintbrush to finish our display and a paddle to have a little bayouside fun on a Tuesday afternoon.

Here’s the part of my personal opinion that you’re expecting to explain how students need to participate in homecoming activities and attend the game Saturday. But I can’t write that. That would make me a hypocrite since this is the first year I can say I’ve actively participated in the events.

So instead I encourage everyone to try something they haven’t done before. We too often fall into the same routines day in and day out. Why not try something out of your character? It’ll bring some flavor to your life.

Left on my list of firsts to accomplish this week: tailgate and cheer the Colonels to a homecoming victory.

But who knows what’ll be on next week’s list: fishing, chillin’ in front the union, sucking crawfish heads, wearing pajama pants to class, etc., etc.