University traditions develop over the years

Homecoming at Nicholls has gone through changes throughout the years to develop the tradition students, faculty, staff and alumni know today.Homecoming began in 1964, according to research done by Alfred Delahaye, professor emeritus of mass communication. Dianne Beaughand of Morgan City and Larry Lasseigne of Thibodaux were the first students to be selected as homecoming queen and escort.

Delahaye’s research shows that the events that are now traditional homecoming activities began in December of 1966.

Homecoming events such as sign painting and the block party may be new to the Nicholls homecoming tradition, but festivities such as the parade and bonfire have been held for years and are still traditions today.

“Homecoming was conducted on the most ambitious scale ever: a parade through downtown Thibodaux, an on-campus bonfire, the presentation of a homecoming queen, freshman and varsity basketball games and a dance at the Knights of Columbus home,” Delahaye writes in “The Ayo Years.”

Homecoming was originally associated with the conclusion of the varsity basketball season. When the football team was established around 1972, homecoming activities were moved to observe the completion of football season.

About five years ago, the pirogue races on Bayou Lafourche were included in homecoming week activities. Originally, the races were held during spring semesters, but students had the idea to bring the races to the fall semester homecoming.

Alumni traditions include the alumni Hall of Fame, golf tournament, the alumni tennis tournament, homecoming buffet and pep rally in the quad. The alumni golf tournament alone has been held for more 23 years.

Jennifer White, coordinator for auxiliary services, said that Homecoming has not changed much since she attended Nicholls in the late ’80s early ’90s.

“Everything has basically stayed the same,” White said.

Damian Breaux, Student Government Association president, said that he is very pleased with how this year’s homecoming week is turning out so far.

“Most of the planning was done ahead of time and the events are coming along quite well,” Breaux said. “The rest of the week is looking good. Homecoming is great!