Student Choice Awards

Inside Colonel Athletics

With the end of the spring semester around the corner, the 2003-2004 athletic season is just about finished. From the football team running out the tunnel into Guidry Stadium against Bethel College to the softball team sweeping Louisiana-Monroe this weekend, this year’s athletic season has been filled with excitement.Since the athletic season at Nicholls is near its close, I decided it would be appropriate to honor certain athletes and teams here at Nicholls for their hard work and dedication to Nicholls.

During the week of April 5-9, a group of 10 random Nicholls’ students voted eight winners in categories ranging from player of the year to team of the year. Listed below in the following paragraphs are the winners and nominees from each category.

After winning their first Southland Conference tournament championship in November, the volleyball team was selected as team of the year. As the sixth seed in the Southland Conference tournament, the volleyball team knocked off the top three seeds in the tournament respectively. The volleyball team’s historic season ended when they lost to 24th ranked Texas A&M in the first round of the volleyball championship. Other nominees for the team of the year include the softball and football teams.

M.J. Engstrom, head volleyball coach, was chosen as coach of the year. In her fourth year, Engstrom led the Lady Colonels to a 18-15 overall record. Coach of the year nominees included softball coach Phyllis Guedry, football coach Daryl Daye and soccer coach Jim Zakel.

The soccer team’s 2-1 victory over LSU in the first night game in Guidry Stadium on Oct. 29 won the moment of the year award. A record crowd of 545 watched the soccer team make history as they defeated LSU for the first time in school history. Moment of the year nominees include the volleyball team’s championship season, Colonels quarterback Josh Son’s breaking the football team’s all-time rushing record and track and field runner Trina Peters being named NCAA Woman of the Year for the state of Louisiana.

The newcomer of the year award went to men’s basketball player Willie Depron. Depron ranked first on the team and seventh in the Southland Conference in scoring at 15.4 points per game and also led the team in rebounding at 5.7 rebounds per game, which ranked 12th in the SLC. He finished the season with 97 assists (3.59), which ranked ninth in the SLC, and led the SLC with 65 steals (2.41). Other nominees include men’s track and field freshman runner Patrick Nelson, soccer freshman Samantha Bledsoe, women’s basketball player Marneshia Bryant and junior baseball player Anthony Hatch.

The resignation of women’s basketball coach Louise “Do” Bonin was selected as the sports news story of the year. In ten years, Bonin led the Lady Colonels to a 69-189 overall record and two Southland Conference tournament berths in 1998 and 1999. Sports news story nominees include Nicholls dropping men’s track and field, Son breaking Nicholls rushing record, the volleyball teams Southland Conference championship win and former football cornerback Chris Thompson’s interception in the Blue-Gray game on Dec. 25.

In Nicholls club sports, the Lacrosse team won surprise team of the year. With a 7-2 overall record this semester, the Lacrosse club clinched its first ever playoff berth. In the Lone Star Alliance playoffs this week, the Lacrosse club will begin its quest at the championship against Southwestern in San Marcos, Texas. The winner of the Nicholls versus Southwestern game will face the winner of the Texas-Arlington versus Tulane game Sunday at noon.

Men’s intramural champion Quiet Storm won the student’s choice award for intramural team of the year. Other nominees for intramural team of the year included the Unpredictables women’s intramural basketball team, the Goodfellas and IRIE’s men’s intramural football teams and the D-Unit basketball team.

The final award category was the player of the year award, which went to senior volleyball player Caley Carter. Carter’s senior season saw her break the school record for kills with 567. Her numerous postseason awards include winning Southland Conference player and newcomer of the year award, and she was named Louisiana Writer’s Association player and newcomer of the year awards. Other nominees for player of the year include Josh Son, Chris Thompson, senior softball pitcher Dionne Meier, track and field runner Christina Sergi, men’s basketball player Willie Depron and women’s basketball player Marneshia Bryant.

Congratulations to all the winners! Your hard work and dedication has clearly paid off. It clearly has been a fun and exciting year watching all athletes from all sports here at Nicholls.