Bookstore receives perfect evaluation

The University Bookstore received positive reviews after being evaluated by a mystery shopper Jan. 17. Barnes & Noble sends mystery shoppers to all of the company’s stores to evaluate the store and its workers. All Barnes & Noble stores must make a 95 percent average throughout the year.

The University Bookstore received 100 percent on all parts of the phone and in-store evaluations.

The first mystery shop this year was a phone evaluation in which the store is evaluated on if the phone was answered in four or less rings, the caller received a complete greeting from the bookseller, the bookseller was knowledgeable and polite, the bookseller asked permission before putting the caller on hold, additional assistance was offered and there was a friendly close to the call.

“The phone was answered promptly, and the bookseller was highly knowledgeable and answered all my questions effectively without placing me on hold. She was extremely polite and helpful, and I felt she wanted to make sure I was satisfied, and I was,” the mystery shopper wrote.

The next mystery shop was conducted when a shopper visited the bookstore the same day.

This evaluation tested whether the mystery shopper was greeted in a friendly manner, the booksellers were wearing nametags, customers received the needed assistance in the textbook area and the shopper received friendly, fast and additional assistance at the register area.

“This was an extremely pleasant shop. This bookstore is well kept and well organized with a remarkable staff of booksellers both men and women. They are willing to ensure that their customers leave this location feeling valued and confident. They were all working together to efficiently serve the customer within the best, most presentable atmosphere possible. I am very impressed with this location and its team of booksellers,” the mystery shopper wrote.

According to the store manager, Angelle Caillouet, the University Bookstore received a 91 percent last year when a mystery shopper visited the store.

After receiving its review, the bookstore has an opportunity to challenge the evaluation, Caillouet said.

“Customer service is a top priority for Barnes & Noble and this bookstore,” Caillouet said. “Getting 100 percents is taken very seriously.