Editor offers Mardi Gras safety advice

Mardi Gras is known as the world’s largest free party and having fun at Mardi Gras is never a problem, but safety is always an issue.
University Police Chief, Craig Jaccuzzo, said the police stationed on the parade routes and the police units driving in the parades provide a purpose.
“They are not just in the parade route to be shiny. The police are there to have an officer to immediately address any problems,” Jaccuzzo said.
Safety methods this Mardi Gras include learning the parade route, stay in well lit areas, and finding the part of the parade route that is appropriate for you, Jaccuzzo said.
“There are sections of the parade for families and some spots are smoke and alcohol free,” Jaccuzzo said.
Houma Police Department Public Information Officer, Todd Duplantis said higher risk areas have more officers near by to handle situations.
“There will be a lot of officers out there to address issues and to call medical personnel if necessary,” Duplantis said.
To avoid any incidences parade viewers should stay on the proper side of barricades, and when there are no barricades, viewers should stay a safe distance from the floats and parade marchers, Duplantis said.
Thibodaux Police Department Public Information Officer, Laura Guise said viewers should not move barricades and sitting or standing on barricades is prohibited.
“Do not block intersections with vehicles. It is important to keep the barricades clear incase an emergency vehicle needs to get into the parade route,” Guise said.
Viewers are instructed to have no animals at the parades, according to Guise.
“Animals are not allowed for the safety of viewers and of the animal,” said Jaccuzzo.
Viewers are recommended to leave valuables in vehicles and should carry the minimum credentials at parades, Jaccuzzo said.
“Do not leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicle. Put items under the seat or in the trunk,” Duplantis said.
Pick pocketing happens in very congested areas, try to avoid those areas and keep your money in front pockets, Jaccuzzo said.
“When you keep the money in front pockets, it is very noticeable if someone has their hand there,” Jaccuzzo said.
Thibodaux and Houma parade rules include, no ladders on public parade routes, no loud or profane music, no glass bottles, no silly string or confetti and no throwing objects at float riders, said Guise.
The use of alcohol will be strictly enforced, Jaccuzzo said.
“Driving under the influence, under age drinking or contributing to under age drinking will not be tolerated,” Jaccuzzo said.