Mardi Gras lessons revealed

Last year I accepted the invitation to the largest party on Earth. Yes, last year was my first Mardi Gras.
Well, technically it was not my first. I am originally from Thibodaux and went to parades as a child, but this was my first as an adult, and I have never had so much fun.
There was delicious food and drinks everywhere, and Louisiana hospitality was in full force.
I learned some lessons I would like to pass on in hopes that the warnings will help other Mardi Gras virgins. Lesson 1: Beads are heavy.
At my first parade in Houma, I picked up every bead thrown on the ground (or thrown at me with the strength of pitcher Randy Johnson). The combination of colors and jewelry fascinated both my inner child and my inner diva. Every strand fell to the floor was an opportunity I greedily capitalized upon. Then the twinge I felt in my neck became a full on headache, aided only partially by the daiquiris I was knocking back.

Lesson 2: Everyone is family.
As I walked along St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans with a new friend, another Mardi Gras virgin, many laughing and smiling people surrounded me. It was the most incredible feeling.
As we stopped to watch the parade go by in a whirl, the man standing next to us offered us a drink and a bite. Thinking my friend knew him, I gladly accepted and hugged him. Minutes later we were on our way back down the avenue. She told me how much she enjoyed meeting my friend. “My friend?” I exclaimed. “I thought you knew him!”

Lesson 3: Wear comfortable shoes.
During the Mardi Gras season, the streets of Louisiana in general and New Orleans in particular become filled with landmines such as broken bottles, spilled drinks, food, vomit and other assorted and mysterious objects that can bring the unwary partier literally to their knees. Being from California, I have a tendency to wear sandals every day. Half the fun of Mardi Gras, however, is walking. You walk up and down the parade route talking and laughing with everyone you meet. This is not fun if your feet are hurting. Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes in order to navigate the bumpy road to Mardi Gras.

Lesson 4: Pace yourself.
People outside Louisiana think Mardi Gras Day is the only day for the holiday. What they do not know is the parades, balls, parties, dinners and get-togethers start well before that day ever gets here.
I moved away from Louisiana as a young child, and although I visited often as a child, I never felt as if I knew enough about my culture and heritage. During Mardi Gras I looked around and saw a culture like no other on the planet. We are the real melting pot of the country; so many different ethnicities have contributed to Louisianan traditions and customs.
Mardi Gras is actually the last day of the holiday, and by the time it arrives, you are already exhausted. By noon Mardi Gras day, I was already hung-over. I was actually tired of drinking. I learned not every daiquiri is your friend.
There is nothing in the world like Mardi Gras. There may be other festivals, maybe a carnival or two. But nowhere do they have the good food, steady flow of drinks and just a plain good time quite like we do here in Louisiana.
Mardi Gras truly is the greatest party on Earth, and I am proud I am a descendant of the people who started it.