Culinary Institute hopes to build new facility

The University is seeking donors to help fund a $15.9 million building to house the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute, an endeavor that would expand the culinary program and aid in the preservation of Cajun culture. Since its opening 10 years ago, the institute has more than quadrupled in size and, consequently, is outgrowing its facilities.

In 1996, 50 students enrolled in the culinary program, accounting for 0.8 percent of total enrollment. Today there are 222 culinary majors on campus, which makes up 3.6 percent of total enrollment.

In addition to being able to offer more classes and extra kitchen space, with the new building the University wants the institute to become a cultural preservation center for Cajun food and culture, Anne Parr, assistant culinary professor, said.

“Part of our mission is to preserve the Cajun heritage, so we want a Cajun-style plantation house and a very modern kitchen facility on the inside,” Parr said. The University plans to erect the culinary building on eight of the 77 acres the state has filed to expropriate from Acadia Agricultural Holdings, LLC; the remaining acres would be used for a student recreation center.

The culinary building would be constructed east of Bowie Road along Hwy. 1.

Mike Davis, assistant vice president of administration, said in addition to requesting corporate donations and applying for grants to fund the facility, the University has also requested that the state fund the majority of the construction.

He said Nicholls proposed in August at a meeting with the Board of Regents that the University would raise a minimum of $4.5 million and the state would fund the remainder.

However, it could be several years before a decision is made, Davis said, because all projects proposed by Louisiana public universities must be prioritized.

“The more money we raise, the better chance Nicholls has of getting the state to fund the project,” Davis said.

Nicholls’ culinary program is unique, Parr said, because it attracts students from various regions of the state and country. In addition, the institute helps tie Nicholls and the community to its roots, she said.

“It (the institute) is representative of our culture, and it’s helping to preserve Cajun and Creole cuisine, which is of benefit to the entire state,” Parr said.

Although space is limited and classes are packed, the culinary faculty are accommodating as best they can.

“We’ll keep taking them (students) and making room for them,” Parr said. “We’re not going to turn anybody away.”

The institute will offer lab classes for the first time this summer, Parr said, in an effort to better accommodate for students. The institute usually only offers lecture classes in the summer.

The institute also is considering Saturday classes for the fall semester, Parr said.