Opposers of troop strength win speech forum

Clint Schexnyder, general studies senior from Houma, speaks for the con side at the speech forum held in the Cotillion Ballroom Tueday night.

The pro side of the debate on troop strength in Iraq won the first speech forum of the spring semester in the Cotillion Ballroom Tuesday night with a vote of 110-68. Opposing sides sat facing each other and Ron Sapia, government junior from Raceland, moderated the event.

The topic of the forum was “Resolved, that increasing troop strength in Iraq is unwise and dangerous.”

Tad Cavalier, business administration sophomore from Vacherie, spoke for the pro side, and Luke Garris, biology pre-med junior from Raceland, spoke for the con side.

Cavalier’s first point focused on the future of America.

“It’s not coming down to physical blows in America, but the more troops we have in Iraq, the more fighting we’ll have here,” he said.

He also said increasing troop strength in Iraq would cause Iran to join in the fight against the United States and would also cause the country to “relapse to Vietnam.”

“Iran has already threatened to attack us, and we’re making things worse by ignoring them,” Cavalier said. “All we need is one big bomb, and we’re over Vietnam’s death toll.”

Garris began his argument by relating the war in Iraq to a chemical reaction that could end up a disaster. He also said increasing troop strength in Iraq would help Iraq overcome three barriers: properly training and equipping Iraqi forces to defend their own freedom, eliminating sectarian violence and extremism and securing borders around Iraq.

“If we stand behind the increase, there will be a more stable and secure Iraq,” Garris said.

Cavalier expressed his concern for the rising death toll and ended his speech by saying, “Is it going to get to the point where day in and day out the news is paraded with caskets draped with American flags? Is that what we want?”

Garris conlcuded his speech by stressing the barriers that need to be overcome.

“If we do not overcome these barriers we face with Iraq, it could be a disaster.”

After both speakers concluded their arguments, the floor was opened to audience members who were given time to express their opinions. Students from each side raised their hands to speak and while many students expressed their opinions, many did not get a chance to speak.

One student told the audience if the war in Iraq were more personal, it would hold more relevance and the opinion would be different. Another said the President is the commander-in-chief who has many intelligent advisers who advise him to do what is necessary.

Tye Leonard, chemistry sophmore from Patterson, speaks for the pro side at the speech forum held in the Cotillion Ballroom Tuesday night. (Ashley Falterman)