English department to teach women’s literature

Nicholls will offer a special topics English course teaching women’s literature in fall 2007, from post-colonialism to the modern era, titled Women’s Writing Experience. “I’m going to teach literature written by women about the female experience,” Brandy Harvey, proposed instructor for the course, said.

Harvey said the class will offer an approach to literature many people have not considered, a feminine perspective. Harvey said she believes interest in women’s writing has grown and hopes to impart to her students the hope, appreciation and joy that can be found in women’s literature.

Students will read a wide variety of authors including minority writers such as Toni Morrison, Sandra Cisneros and Bharati Mukherjee.

Harvey said she is planning to teach not only mainstream women’s literature but also many writings from different cultures.

The course will be a comprehensive study of both women’s literature and feminist theory. Harvey will be teaching the diverse feminist theories of authors like Judith Fetterly, Helene Cixous and Julia Kristeva.

The class is expected to be popular with students.

Harvey said she feels all students could benefit from taking this class, not just English majors.

“Anyone who wants the challenge of reading and thinking,” she said.

The women’s literature class, English 210, can be taken by anyone who has passed freshman English. It is a special topics class, which means that each semester the class could have a different focus.

Christina Chauvin, nursing freshman from Bourg, said the class sounds interesting and she would like to take it if her schedule allows.

According to David Middleton, Language and Literature Department Head, the English department will be adding both African-American literature and women’s literature permanently to the classes offered. The courses are expected to be added within the next five years.