Belly dancing, aerobics offered after hours

Liz Dominy from Thibodaux, Daisy Driest from Thibodaux, and Jennifer Breaux from St. Charles-Community, participate in belly dancing class at Shaver Gym Monday.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman

Nicholls offers several after-hour classes that students, faculty, staff and community can attend to unwind after a long day.
Aerobics classes are held on a monthly basis and combines high-impact aerobics, step aerobics, floor exercise, kick boxing, circuit training and dance aerobics. The classes are designed to mix things up and give variety to avoid boredom.
Aerobics instructor Elizabeth Rodriguez said there is a little something for everyone in the class.
“You cannot know whether it is for you until you try it,” Rodriguez said.
Rhonda Zeringue, Administrative Coordinator for the Louisiana Center For Dyslexia & Related Disorders, has been taking the class since before the Christmas holidays and she said she loves it.
“I was a little hesitant at first but the class is for a variety of different ages and coordination levels, anybody can do it,” Zeringue said.
Aerobics classes are held on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-5 p.m. Classes are free to faculty, staff and students with a valid Nicholls ID.
Pilates classes are taught on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week from 6-7 p.m. Rachel Pujol, a certified Pilates instructor, said Pilates helps with strengthening and stretching and works on the base of the muscles.
Pilates gives you inner strength; it relaxes you and is fit for all sizes and ages, Pujol said.
“Most students feel good when they leave, that’s what makes them come back.” Pujol said, “If someone gives it a try, I truly believe you will see a difference from beginning to end.”
Beginner’s and Advanced Middle Eastern Dance (belly dance) classes are taught on the Nicholls campus by Jessica Martin. The Beginner’s Belly Dancing class works on body isolation, belly dancing techniques and short pieces of choreography while the Advanced Belly Dancing class works on more complicated choreography.
Malloree Coleman, psychology junior from New Orleans, is new to belly dancing. She decided to join the class with two of her friends that were already enrolled in the class.
“It is exercise and fun at the same time, come and check it out,” Coleman said.
Jana Hubbell, general studies graduate, has been belly dancing for two years. Hubbell said belly dancing is a good artistic and physical outlet. She said it is a real workout and a good time.
Hubbell said taking the class also gives you an opportunity to become a performer.
“If you are looking to try something exotic and unique you should try belly dancing,” Hubbell said.
There are currently 20 to 50 dancers enrolled in the belly dancing class. They range in age from as young as 16 and as mature as 70.
Spectacular Springtime Silks, a class that teaches how to make floral arrangements, will also be offered at Nicholls starting March 5 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Cashanta Paige, silks instructor, said the class teaches basics and uses the person’s own talent and creativity. This class helps to broaden your mind, Paige said.
“The class is very enjoyable, students say it eases their minds and is a great learning experience,” Paige said.