Bloggers seek acceptance from others on Internet

When I was a kid, I had a small purple diary with a pair of fluffy, tan kittens on the cover. On the side of my diary was a gold lock, which if opened by a tiny gold key would reveal my innermost thoughts- primarily which boys in my second grade class were the cutest and how much fun Caitlin’s slumber party had been. I always made sure it was locked; I would have been devastated if someone had read it. Today I am amazed at how many people, instead of writing in personal journals, choose to post their deepest feelings on the Internet. On sites like livejournal.com and Myspace.com, people seem to spill secrets that the average person would want only close friends having knowledge of- not millions of people.

I’m not criticizing people who post humorous accounts of events in their lives, and I see no problem with wanting to share a profound experience with the masses. I do, however, have complaints about people who use the Internet to hash out relationship problems or discuss drama in the workplace.

Writing your feelings is a good form of venting. It’s also cool to look back upon what you wrote and compare it to your life now.

But why do some people feel it is necessary to make their most personal opinions so public?

Perhaps one reason is that some people desire attention and thrive on receiving comments about what they post.

However, I feel that it is more than that. More than just for attention, these people are seeking acceptance.

Acceptance: it’s a basic human need. We all want to be understood, and we all want to feel like we belong to a certain group. It’s why in second grade I begged my mom to buy me Lisa Frank folders for school; it’s why guys join fraternities; it’s why people enter cults.

People who make personal online postings feel a lack of acceptance, so they write blogs including intimate details about their lives in order to fill that void and vent about life. Somehow receiving feedback from either people they know or complete strangers gives them a sense of validation.

While I understand the need to release one’s emotions, I don’t think the Web is the best way to go. You may later regret what millions of people were given knowledge of, you may ruin your relationships or what you post may result in the termination of your employment.

Confiding in a trustworthy friend is a much better solution. If a friend is not available, pick up a journal and go at it.

And it doesn’t have to be a purple one with kittens on the cover, either.