Students join lesser known clubs

Tom Bourgeois, Keith Blanchard and Chris Cox, faculty advisor, execute a type of karate called shotokan on the second floor of Shaver Gym Feb. 15. The Karate Club is one of several lesser known clubs available to the Nicholls community.

As members of the human race, every person is entitled to his or her right to enjoy participating in activities that are pleasing. At Nicholls there are many opportunities for students to dedicate their spare time to whatever extracurricular activity the person finds enjoyable.
Getting involved in extracurricular activities that suit a person’s taste should not be an issue for most students. The University offers an assortment of organizations they can join.
Organizations range from Greek to art, sociology to culinary and almost anything in between. Do most students know they exist?
Brothers Leading Achievers on a Quest to Unite and Educate and the Karate Club are two organizations at Nicholls that may not be as well known as others.
The Karate Club has been an organization on campus for three years. Jimmy Ellis, who is known as the “sensei,” teaches students, faculty and staff a form of traditional Japanese style karate called Shutokan. Members of the club learn the basic Shutokan style and techniques, Ellis said.
There are approximately 30 members in the club and they meet during the week and occasionally on weekends, to practice. The club is looking towards turning the club in to a class.
There is much camaraderie and spirit amongst the group, Ellis said.
Maria Ammann, government senior from New Orleans and president of the club, said she enjoys participating in the club.
“We get to meet different people that we’d otherwise never get to meet,” she said.
Shutokan is an excellent source of physical fitness, Ellis said. Ammann said it is also a good way to learn self-defense.
Those interested in joining the club do not need any type of martial arts experience.
BLAQUE is a newer organization on campus. The focus of this organization is to recruit, retain, mentor and graduate African- Americans from the University, Earl Collins, graphic design senior from Kenner and president of the organization, said.
BLAQUE was formed to motivate the black population at the University, Collins said. The organization assists black males in many aspects of their lives.
Members of the organization support one another in a learning environment and are taught public speaking and communication skills and study habits, Collins said.
“We give them tools to make themselves better in the community as well as the Nicholls community,” Collins said. “Some of them need a little guidance and support and we try to give them that through the organization.”
The organization teaches black males to be professional business men and motivate them to get their diplomas.
As of now, BLAQUE has ten members. In the future, the organization is hoping to branch out to black females as well, Collins said.
Other organizations on campus include Precious Jewels, Prestige Modeling Troupe, Student Respiratory Therapy Association, Veterans Club and the Food Advisory Association.